Rev limiter

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

...thats fat...damn...that would pop my tires...i was hating on the 50s on 92b16vx had...im sorry dude...there is a reason to have them

:worthy:

Going to redline is almost too pointless. I generally shift just after peak power which is 7600 rpm. No point in going to 8 grand if your curve is starting to fall.

No it's not...Going to redline in the b16 is completely necassary when trying to go fast. If you shift before redline not only are you going to end up falling out of vtec but you will be dropping out of the powerband.

In the LST I shift I hit 7-7.2k, which is completely necassary with the LS trans. If I don't I will fall out of boost.

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@May 14 2005, 06:19 AM
Going to redline is almost too pointless. I generally shift just after peak power which is 7600 rpm. No point in going to 8 grand if your curve is starting to fall.

No it's not...Going to redline in the b16 is completely necassary when trying to go fast. If you shift before redline not only are you going to end up falling out of vtec but you will be dropping out of the powerband.

In the LST I shift I hit 7-7.2k, which is completely necassary with the LS trans. If I don't I will fall out of boost.
[post=499133]Quoted post[/post]​

um...... yeah... see, I drive a b16 with the S4c on a daily basis and shifting at 7600 rpm will NOT drop you out of VTEC...

Shifting at 7600-7700 rpm:
~ 1st to 2nd drops you to 5700 rpm
~ 2nd to 3rd drops you back to 6000 rpm

Shifting after your power curve starts to drop is like shifting before your power curve. It's useless.

Now DD driving is different. I shift my prelude at 4k...:unsure:

If I had a b16 (which I never will, but as an example), I would shift at redline. The reason for shifting at redline is this.

You drop 1600k RPM. Let's use this dyno graph.

scan.jpg

shifing at 8k would drop you to 6400, which in turn would put about 140 hp to the wheels.

shifting at 7600 would drop you down to 6k and leave you with 10-15 or so less hp on tap.

Sure it's not a huge difference, but in auto-x it makes a difference, those .25 seconds it takes to rev that little bit back up add up in the end.

back when i first bought the car i would drag it all the way to redline. But now that I'm used to the car I can feel it start to drag. By that time I shift. The powerband on the a2 starts around 5000 rpm. Punch it at that and you get instant acceleration. I've driven it enough to know where it drops to and that 300 rpm difference really isn't that big of a deal. You're still well within the powerband and you're not dropping power as you shift.

I've never autocrossed, so I can't tell you the proper way to shift and drive. But for daily dragging down the highway there really is no point in going all the way to redline on this engine.

I wouldn't drag it out to redline on the highway either. I beat the hell out of the prelude for a DD, but when I start driving the shitvic I most likely won't be redlining that either.

Back