ricer question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

:p Hey, me and my friends were just joking around one day...and we came across of thinkin of a CO2 tank, or a high compression oxygen tank from like a paint ball gun or something, as a performance booster.

If you can tap a hose into the intake manifold and run a valve or regulator on the tank, will that act like a nitrous system?

I think the engine will run very lean though? If you increased the sized of your injectors and rail, and run some higher octane fuel...would this work?

Im not really going to try this..it was just a thought.

basically no....

the no2 is good because its semi stable, and once it gets into the combustion chamber thats when the n and o2 seperate, and its the additional oxygen which really gives you the power boost, and the N has a side effect of cooling the cylinder...

and this tank would not work as any form of forced induction because of the motors cfm rate exceeds that which a tank could put out/sustain for any length of time...

you could however fill a co2 tank with no2 and use your setup to blow your motor...

edit: and i believe if you ran straight oxygen your motor would be very prone to detonation...

Originally posted by reckedracing@Dec 30 2004, 03:23 PM
basically no....

the no2 is good because its semi stable, and once it gets into the combustion chamber thats when the n and o2 seperate, and its the additional oxygen which really gives you the power boost, and the N has a side effect of cooling the cylinder...

and this tank would not work as any form of forced induction because of the motors cfm rate exceeds that which a tank could put out/sustain for any length of time...

you could however fill a co2 tank with no2 and use your setup to blow your motor...

edit: and i believe if you ran straight oxygen your motor would be very prone to detonation...
[post=439234]Quoted post[/post]​

A friend of mine did something similar where instead of using N02 he simply used compressed air. He was sick of paying so much to get his bottle filled, and decided to give compressed air a try. It worked, but I am sure he was running too rich seeing as how the air we breathe only has a make up of around 30 ish % oxygen. N02 has 2 parts oxygen for every 1 part nitrogen. Of course he already had set up his car with a wet Zex system, and had the necessary fuel management already set up.. If you just pumped in compressed air into the intake mani you would end up running lean unless you adjusted your FM.

Btw, the Nitrogen itself does not cool the engine. The cooling effect is due to the expanding of the compressed gas. Although nitrogen is said to help buffer the pistons during the combustion phase.

just run CO2. lol, it end combustion, you wont have to worry about anything. lol. haulin ass.....spray....lose massive amounts of power. lol

you might be able to spray the c02 on to your intake mani to make it colder which should make the air colder which would give you more power... but don't inject it.

Originally posted by 99SiRidinLow@Dec 30 2004, 05:28 PM
you might be able to spray the c02 on to your intake mani to make it colder which should make the air colder which would give you more power... but don't inject it.
[post=439272]Quoted post[/post]​

I have heard of people either using CO2 or spraying water on their FMIC in turbo setups to lower the temp and increase the density of their intake charges... On a side note, I wonder if you could take apart an AC, and fabricate an active cooling system for an IC. Maybe use a peltier heat pump instead of a refrigerant? You could just chill/freeze the entire IC, and have it always be cold.

yea..thats a good idea..I'm sure theres a cheap/efficient way to lower the intake temp. I think i might brain storm a few ways. keep the ideas coming.

I bet if you have a thinish metal CAI and have injectors spray the pipe you can gain more power... C02 is very cheap so you could get a 5lb bottle for like a keg and hook it up and have like 3 injectors cool one spot like maybe the throotle body or intake mani?

how bout a sleeve that slides over the aftermarket intake pipe. It will have a constant ventilation sprayed with C02 to drop the temp down. Just press a button to turn it on while at high revs. Do you think C02 will drop the temp enough to notice a significant amount of increase in performance? lol..or if we could get our hands on some "dry ice." That liquid nitrogen will diffenetly decrease the temp.

now its just to the point where you do it for a race car.. I believe they use dry ice on race cars.... Your better off just experimenting on a dyno with a set up..

Originally posted by liquidhg+Dec 30 2004, 06:02 PM-->
Originally posted by 99SiRidinLow@Dec 30 2004, 05:28 PM
[post=439272]Quoted post[/post]​

I have heard of people either using CO2 or spraying water on their FMIC in turbo setups to lower the temp and increase the density of their intake charges... On a side note, I wonder if you could take apart an AC, and fabricate an active cooling system for an IC. Maybe use a peltier heat pump instead of a refrigerant? You could just chill/freeze the entire IC, and have it always be cold.
[post=439285]Quoted post[/post]​

99SiRidinLow
@Dec 31 2004, 04:28 AM
I bet if you have a thinish metal CAI and have injectors spray the pipe you can gain more power... C02 is very cheap so you could get a 5lb bottle for like a keg and hook it up and have like 3 injectors cool one spot like maybe the throotle body or intake mani?
[post=439510]Quoted post[/post]​

or just spray into your filter

there is a system like that already....i am thinking about using this instead of an FMIC...i cant go into detail but the some of the problems that i am going to encounter is the CO runs out quick...so instead of using the bottle ill try to use the ac compresor system.......and the amount of boost i'll be able to use...thats why i think it wont be that beneficial...my2c....

all that other stuff by the looks liike a good idea but the cheetah jets are just a dickish manuver. id kick someones front bumper if i saw that

Back