Rollin' Back The Miles!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquin

Hey guys, I'm doin an engine swap in my 90 rex and I was thinking about somehow rolling my odometer back :ph34r: when I get it in. Question is-1-how do I do this & -2- is it illegal even if I state this on my title? (not that I'll ever sell it anyways!)

Thanks a bunch guys!

you CAN roll your odometer back, BUT its HIGHLY illegal. best thing i can tell you is to get a new cluster with the mileage that closely matches the motor you are putting in. thats all i can tell you to do.

ive heard its illegal because it is considered "falsifying information", like you are commiting fraud...but i guess if you're upfront with it, its ok. i dont think anyone will care unless they find out and sue you. as for how to do it..i have no idea. i have an uncle who is into cars and said you can hook the speedo up to a drill and run it overnight, but i dont know how exactly.

It is illegal EVERYWHERE, even if you get a new cluster, you need to register it with the current miles on the engine and the miles on the cluster, otherwise it is fraud.

i think you can list it as undeclared number of miles and still be legal... i think...
just dont jack it up, run it in reverse, then get mad at your dad, kick it, and have it end up in the creek :lol:

This is what i did when i swaped my engine. First take out the gauge cluster. Right down the current miles then take the plastic cover off of the front. With a knife or your finger if it fits just start clicking the miles back. If you go to sell it just look at your numbers you wrote down before you turned it back and add them to the milage that is on there now just like you did to roll them back.

See, I thought of that and I was thinking that it would strip out some tiny gears or something. So you did that and it still works? Huh, and I thought it would be harder. Anyone else ever tried this or another way?

dude thats just the least bit illegal!!! haha well its up to you. what they dont noe wont hurt right???

theres a way to do it PERFECTLY so no one can even tell (just like on my car :D )... im not sure how you do it, my mechanic did it for me when i was putting in my reverse glow gauges n carbon fiber bezel... somthin u gotta take off in the back and screw back the numbers and somethin else... i don't know but if you live in the bay area he can do it for you

Thanks guy, but I was looking for more of a DIY way of doing it that other people have done other than the Q-tip.

rolling back the miles on a 1990-ish car?

why? so you can charge 100 bucks more for a "low mileage car"

i do not agree with rolling back miles....but shit, if you are going to do it

why dont you at LEAST do it to a fairly recent car?

No!, I am not doing this to sell it. I just want to reflect the mileage of the motor, I know, I know, but thats what I want. So can you help a guy out?

Number of uses of the letter "aye" = 8 :p

ok basicly this shit is illegal
if you want to do it i really dont give a fuck
i dont live anywhere near you and i wouldnt buy a 1990 anything anyway
so this doesnt effect me at all

but.... if you want to do illegal shit... figure out how to do it on your own
this website is for sharing information on tuning and performance.... not how to fraudulently represent your vehicle or do other illegal shit

:locked:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back