rotary engine

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SolPWR

my friend is looking for a new car and hes look at the new RX8, he likes the style and he is intrigued by the rotary!?! I told him to get a STi but he likes the rotary.

my question is what is the advantage that a rotary has? & is there a turbo kit for a RX8 yet?

seen many overheat via after a while, whats good about them is their cost to replace.

I am sure greddy will come out with some type of bolt on turbo kit, just a matter of time and hoenstly I would try to convince your buddy to get the STi...that is one hell of a car.

Several things.

Rotary engines do not work against themselves. Meaning that the combustion of air and fuel pushes the rotor along the path it's already going, versus a piston engine that slams an upward moving piston down.

Secondly, with the rotary design, every rotation of the rotor translates into 1.5 rotations of the crank.

The lack of a valvetrain, connecting rods, timing belts, etc etc etc allow the engines to rev extremely high with no worries of valve float and all those gremilns that keep us up at night.

The Renesis engine (RX-8) deals with most of the oil burning and seal problems. In a normal rotary engine, you'd be changing rotor seals wth your oil every 3000 miles, and at worse case scenario, adding about a half a bottle of oil to your engine every fuel fillup.

The rotary engine comes apart EASILY. As for removal from the car, the dual rotary Renesis is a 1.3 litre engine.

They require their work, but they are kickass engines.

its bad ass... but no one knows dick about them, even your dealership. it's a total different concept of a motor.

personally, if i had 35k to consider buying a car with, it would be a 2000-2001 lease trade in on a pimp m3. fuck a jap car

you say that now B...but be warned......

Japanese car parts are cheap and easy to get when they break...

BMW parts are the exact opposite....

yea, even old ass 80's m3 parts are expensive still...

from working at a mazda dealership i have learned that if you start up an RX-8, then shut it off, then try to start it back up again you will flood it. and if you want to put after maket wheels on them your ABS light will be on all the time. the RX-8 has these sensors on the wheels that are $150 a pop. you have to get new sensors and have them calibrated with the new wheels. this what i've been told by the mazda guys at my dealership.

Once I fix up the body on my 86 GTS I will be looking to trade it for an FC(? I think its the 2nd or 3rd but not the last) body style RX-7

The engine on the RX8 is not as fast as the old rx7, probally a little faster then a GSR or a Type R, however, the handling is pure mazda. Imagine miata but with more power.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Nov 26 2003, 09:06 PM
The engine on the RX8 is not as fast as the old rx7, probally a little faster then a GSR or a Type R, however, the handling is pure mazda. Imagine miata but with more power.

The RX8 runs a mid 5s 0-60 & a high 13 quarter. It's quick, and it gives Z28s/GTs a run for their money.

Imagine the Miata, with more power, and in a lighter chassis. :)

Originally posted by sleepergtx+Nov 26 2003, 10:09 PM-->
asmallsol
@Nov 26 2003, 09:06 PM

The RX8 runs a mid 5s 0-60 & a high 13 quarter. It's quick, and it gives Z28s/GTs a run for their money.

um not really, it does 5.9 0-60 and 14.5 quaters

http://mazda.jbcarpages.com/RX8/2004/index4.php

the RX8 is also 600lbs heaier then the miata

Originally posted by asmallsol+Nov 26 2003, 09:39 PM-->
Originally posted by sleepergtx@Nov 26 2003, 10:09 PM
asmallsol
@Nov 26 2003, 09:06 PM

um not really, it does 5.9 0-60 and 14.5 quaters

http://mazda.jbcarpages.com/RX8/2004/index4.php

the RX8 is also 600lbs heaier then the miata

I'm sorry I was off by half a second...whoopty doo. but we all know that that half a second is a minimal difference as per track conditions, driver, temp, tires, transmission, etc. I think I read in a magazine somewhere that it was capable of high 13s if all those conditions are right.

I was lied to about the weight difference, bastard liars...I didn't think the RX8 weighed 1 and a half tons. :eek:

I stand owned/corrected...whatever. :)

It depends on which press release you are going off of. Mazda has changed the power ratings 2 or 3 times. the problem is that the numbers are going down, not up...

Back