Rx-8 Pics :)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

It's not the size of the ports that limited the RX-7, it was the LOCATION of the ports. I know there are plenty of sites out there that can explain the redesign of the Renesis.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@May 28 2003, 12:10 PM
the rare 20B found in JDM RX-7's had 3 rotors and twin turbos (drool!),

the 20B was actually never put in an RX7 from the factory .... it came in the enos cosmo
yes it was twin turbo'd.... only came in automatic though :(

its all good though ... you can put the RX7 tranny on it
just change the counterweight
pretty easy

Originally posted by dveit@May 28 2003, 11:25 AM
How come Wankels rotary engine can produce such drastic numbers on a lower liter engine compared to honda engines. Whats the secret?

basically, it has 3 cycles per revolution, vs, hondas 1.

3x 1.3 = 3.9
1x 1.8 = 1.8

But pissedoffsol, that's been completely trashed. It competes with 3 liter v6's for power, but SAE says it's still only 1.3l.

Not to diss you, but I don't want anyone to think that is actually has 3.9 liters in it.

It IS only a 1.3 liter displacement engine.

BUT it used the 1.3L 3 times per revolution, instead of just once, is what he's getting at.

Imagine it this way.

A 2 stroke fires ever time the piston comes up to the top of the cylinder. This is like most SMALL lawn machines, and some motorcycles, mostly dirtbikes.

A 4 stroke fires every OTHER time the piston reaches the top of the cylinder. Cycles are Suck Squish Bang Blow. Down to suck in air, Up to make compression by "squishing the air, BANG to ignite the compressed air and MAKE power, blow, to blow out the used air and get ready to bring in more fresh Oxygen.

A Rotary has 4 stroke technology, but performs the process 3 times in each Ratation of the engine because the rotors have three tops to them. Each side of the Rotor acts as another piston, and the 13B's have 2 rotors, so BASICALLY, it's a HIGHLY efficient 1.3L O6. :) (O6 because the rotors move in a circular, or figure 8 pattern)

the 1.3 liters is referring to it's size. the engine really small and extremely light, making it a good contender in a sport car. light engine, small body = zoom zoom !

Originally posted by mogi@May 30 2003, 08:24 AM
the 1.3 liters is referring to it's size.

Not really, it's referring to how much "stuff" the engine displaces, from the "suck" cycle (as SiR Kid called it) when the compression chamber is at its most open, to the "squish" cycle when the compression chamber is at its smallest, times the number of compression chambers.

I love how mazda incorporated the design of the rotary engine into the whole car, the triangular shape of da wankle, look at the headrests of the seats, and the shift knob is that triangular shape too. I love that car, the one in X-Men2 was pretty bad too. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by E_SolSi@May 30 2003, 09:30 AM
just look at this page:

http://travel.howstuffworks.com/rotary-engine4.htm

it has a full explanation of how the engine works .... broken down step by step
and it even has an animation that you can view as a whole or step by step

How Stuff Works is how I got an A in Principles of Technology 3 years in a row! God, I love that site, and yeah the car is bad ass, and I would definitely rock one!

I still think the car is pretty bad ass. Although, I would rather settle w/ a turbo model of the same car. I love the styling of it, it's pretty out there and trying to make a statement IMHO. I liked the rx-8 in X2. It was off the heezy fo sheezy!

Back