Safe Rpm for daily driving

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ok my swap has been done for a while now and I am starting to develop inner ear damage from this 98 spec itr rapping 4k in 5th gear while im going 70 mph down I-70...

How long can that motor last if it is holding 4200 k rpm for 20 to 30 min at a whack....

I know the jdm 98 spec is a fine piece of work but should I be worried about my baby ... or should I just say fuck it and drive 85 like I want to and be in the 5 thousand mark and beyond for my daily commute... :D

Anyone know what the safe range is for this thing to be held at for extended time frames

when I go on highway trips I usually travel around 80 mph... and I get the best gas mileage... sooo...

just say fuck it and drive 85 like I want to and be in the 5 thousand mark and beyond for my daily commute...

:yes:

I run my b16a at about 6000-7500 in fifth for hours at a time on the autobahn. The B's love it, they are breed for it, as long as it is maintained it should be more than adequately handle that.

Sweeett....... Honda is bad ass with their type r godliness...

I plan on changing the oil every 500-1000 miles anyway so as long as I keep up with all the gen matience I am good to go...

Thank god for radar detectors.... :D and speed limiter removers

I guess I was under the false impression that vtec on for extended times = bad

haha, that is a total waste to change it that much. i use mobil1 synth on my R and i change it like every 6k miles :p

Originally posted by B16@Aug 20 2004, 01:20 PM
haha, that is a total waste to change it that much. i use mobil1 synth on my R and i change it like every 6k miles :p
[post=379719]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd: :withstupid:

ive driven on the high lobes for about 4 hours straight
no problems at all

:thumbsup:

dont be skured to open that fucker up

I gotta agree....my GSR has 150k miles on the oroginal shortblock. Most of the miles are at 85-90 MPH, which is 4.5-5k RPMs, tons and tons of Auto-X events, many a- dragstrip run, plus ~4500 track miles, always over 7k RPMs and the thing just doesn't care :) I don't even use synthetic oil either! :p

The way i see it the R is the more safe of the B's to but just running on likethat. I all balanced nice, more so then the B16 and c1.

My B20/VTEC spent probably 60-70% of its life above 4500rpm, and that was over 45k miles of driving. If you build it right, the engine will be fine.

Originally posted by B16@Aug 20 2004, 01:20 PM
[post=379719]Quoted post[/post]​

mike, even whie using synthetic you should change around every 3k miles. although it will not break down like dino oil, it will still pick up carbon deposits and other impurities that are just as abrasive to the motor. my .02

Not really- I still change mine every 3k, but you could easily just change the filter and top off at 3k and change the oil every 6k if it still looks good.

Back