Seahawks.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ray rice
aaron hernendez
michael vick

shall i keep going?

Ray Lewis and the Cowboys in the 90's?
Let's face it, B's right. These are guys who would never be anything if it wasn't for football. You hear the stories all the time. They have no family values, no father figures and mother's on welfare and other hand out programs. These guys are given an education which is rigged. If you took football or any sport away from most of these guys, they'd be in gangs, jail, dealing drugs or dead.

You don't need to be smart to play football. Yes, you need to learn offensive and defense plays and learn hand signals and what not but that's training, that's not being smart. It's something they have done there entire lives anyway so they are used to it.

Here is an interesting fact:

http://centraltendencies.com/2009/01/college-athletes-sat-iq-scores/

Nationwide, football players average 220 points lower on the SAT than their classmates — and men’s basketball players average seven points less than football players.

A lot of them barely have average IQ's

Wow. That's one way to look at it. .... .....

Yeah. Let's face it. If it weren't football they wouldn't be able to get out of the vicious cycle and make some changes. So let's judge them for what they didn't have growing up, and the awful environments they were raised in.

Ray Lewis and the Cowboys in the 90's?

Wow. That's one way to look at it. .... .....

Yeah. Let's face it. If it weren't football they wouldn't be able to get out of the vicious cycle and make some changes. So let's judge them for what they didn't have growing up, and the awful environments they were raised in.

Yeah pretty much.....Even if these guys make it to college, how many of them are going pro? 1% of all athletes? What do you think they are going to turn to when they don't go pro and their education was rigged so they are to stupid to get a job? I'm pretty sure they are not getting into start up business's or working their way up the corporate ladder. Of course there will be some who do, but probably less than 1% of those who didn't make it.

And also, growing up poor and in bad neighborhoods are considered examples of excuses for not bettering yourself.

I'm pretty sure most college athletes are more successful than the average joe.

Here is a good article written by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar that's somewhat relative.

The amateur status that was so important for young athletes to uphold when I was in college is not very important in this day and age.

Professional athletes are now allowed to participate in the Olympics. In basketball, the large salaries that are commonplace for NBA stars have had a dramatic effect on the way young hoopsters move from high school to the professional ranks. With so much interest in signing the next great player, the pro teams have made it possible for talented athletes to leave high school and go directly to the pros, although most opt to enroll for the minimum number of semesters needed to make them eligible for the draft, and in all of this, the value of a college degree has lost a lot of its luster.

didn't just focus on an NBA career. He also worked to get business experience.
Given the millions being paid to the better players, who needs a bachelor's degree? As a new school year starts, and some of those young men with great potential begin their short stays on campuses, I must point out that a college diploma is more important than ever for those who expect to sign a contract for big dollars.

We have recently seen how having a huge contract does not translate into lifetime security for superstar performers. Evander Holyfield, who reportedly earned more than $200 million in his pro boxing career, has been evicted from his Atlanta mansion and is for all intents and purposes broke. The same can be said with regard to NBA stars Antoine Walker and Allen Iverson. The pro athletes who end up squandering their windfall do so because they generally do not have the ability to manage and protect the huge sums of money they earn.

This has nothing to do with a lack of intelligence on the athletes' part. For so many of them, the lack of experience with money is their Achilles' heel. People who have successfully handled money are usually trained to do that job over a substantial period of time. This is after they have earned a foundation of fundamental knowledge at a financial institution, such as a bank, or they come from backgrounds with an extensive business connection. The knowledge and experience are the keys to their expertise in money management.

For the average athlete, there is no way that their life experience can help them handle their money. One thing that can change this is taking the time to go to college. Learning about the world and the way it works in and out of the classroom is a great way to figure out the way you want to live your life. Athletes who truly invest in these educational opportunities sometimes find out that the dreams that they had about the good life are not based in reality. But too many of them skip that learning, think of themselves as rock stars and try to imitate a lifestyle that has left so many people on the rocks.

Of course, there have been athletes who get the concept with regard to money management. Former NBA star Dave Bing is presently the mayor of Detroit. Since his NBA career ended, he has had a successful business career as a producer of steel products and he went from that success to a political career that has given hope to his beloved Detroit. Dave didn't make the mega bucks that are commonplace for today's NBA stars, but he was able to use the money he did make to start his steel company. Over time, he is probably doing better than many of his contemporaries in the NBA.

Student-athletes should focus on graduating, too.
Junior Bridgeman also comes to mind when I think of NBA players who have gone on to success as businessmen. Junior controls 280 fast-food franchises and has been able to make his business grow and thrive since retiring from the NBA. For Junior at Louisville and Dave at Syracuse, the basic education they received in college was a foundation for their success after their athletic careers ended. The fact that they had to attend study hall and hand in papers or learn about things that are totally outside of their comfort zone made it possible for them to adapt to the business world and succeed.

Finally, young men need to realize that there are also a limited number of jobs in the professional sports franchises. The NBA, for example, has only 450 roster spots. For basketball, baseball and football, there are fewer than 3,000 on-field jobs for athletes. Any high school student with the talent to get a scholarship to attend a university for four years should focus on the business aspects of their favorite sport. In addition to playing, there are thousands of jobs supported by the pro leagues that offer gainful employment.

There are many different paths to success in America. I hope our young athletes can do a better job discovering what they are. Fully taking advantage of college would be a great start.

Last edited by a moderator:
g
e tty is a bit sue happy, so i removed the images from that post

Go big or go home:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...een-bay-packers-arrested-marijuana-possession

On a more topical note. A lot of Pats players looked like complete asshole today during their parade. Blount holding up a shirt that said Bitch Mode, Edelman took a sign with Sherman face on it and punched it before throwing it off the buss. And Grand said on Kimmel that it was the last game of the season so he was going to throw hay makers. black players are thrown under the buss for having a regional dialect but it's frat boy funny when a white guy talks about trying to knock dudes out during a game

I heard that one of Indy's line backers, D'Qwell Jackson got arrested for hitting a pizza delivery guy in DC the other day too.

Yeap that's what i am saying. if you took pro football or pro sports away from most of these guys, they would have no structure, no discipline whatsoever and would find themselves in a world of hell. NOT ALL OF THEM, just most of them.

Reactions: tab
I don't get what you're saying anymore... Football is a vehicle for their lives?

He's saying that if there was no football a lot of these guys would have just been hooligans and ended up in jail during the course of their lives.

He's saying that if there was no football a lot of these guys would have just been hooligans and ended up in jail during the course of their lives.
pretty much this....but again...im not saying all of them.

In Grom's defense he was asked about what he was thinking once the Seahawks started the fight. Not like he intended to throw haymakers from the start. He still sounded like a douche though.

I love how Seattle fans have been talking about New England being classless and "sore winners" since the parade. How quickly they've forgotten about their team being huge sore losers during the game.

And all Bennett did to Gronk was block through the whistle. He straight smacked him on the back of the head. Which cause Irvin to get down. It isn't excusable in any case. But my point is most players are going to get drug through the mud if they talk about how they figured they would throw haymakers.

As for the Pats being assholes during the parade. Well they where being assholes during the parade. I am all for some shit talk during the game and getting sassy with one another but three days laters is pretty lame. I don't remember the Hawks holding up sad manning face pictures during their parade. To the victor goes the spoils but celebrate your own team and your fans. Don't spend so much time worrying about the other guy. Hell they had the game given to them anyway ;)

In Grom's defense he was asked about what he was thinking once the Seahawks started the fight. Not like he intended to throw haymakers from the start. He still sounded like a douche though.

I love how Seattle fans have been talking about New England being classless and "sore winners" since the parade. How quickly they've forgotten about their team being huge sore losers during the game.
which highlights the point

Sherman stretched that taunting to the camera instead of at the player. I don't think anyone has talked as much shit about everyone as him this season or last.

F all that pc crap. I don't mind it. I think it's funny. Win with class... They're not out there playing pattycake.

Back