Secondary Butterflies Q!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Someone said they do. Another said they don't.
The car is a 93 Cx with a 98 GSR motor (usdm) / stock OBD1 p72 ECU. I had my father get the rpm's up to about 7k and they did not open. Before I start cutting wires I would like to know if they open in neutral or only when the car is in gear.
Thanks for any help!

I only ran 4 wires with my swap:
--A4 vtec Solenoid
--A17 Secondary Intake Solenoid
--D3 Knock Sensor
--D6 vtec Oil Pressure Switch

ive always gone by the assumption that they were closed until the ECU grounded the solenoid and opened them

I would upgrade that manifold to a ITR/Skunk unit. No butterflies and no worries.

Milan

I guess I'm having the same suspicions as Hybrid93 is having. I don't think my secondaries are opening up. I know you guys are saying to just dump the dual runners for a sk2 manifold but unfortunately, I am low on funds. I will attach a pic of the secondary butterfly solonoid. CAn anyone of you kindly tell me if it is on the open position or closed pisition. Thanks...

~joe

333750_31_full.jpg

I actually took that pic. My motor was reved to 7k and I watched under the hood as that thing did not move. The rod is suppose to come down "opening" the butterflies...

secondaries do open in nuetral. i have a 94 b18c1 in my CRX and they open just fine. if the motor/ecu is stock they should open at like 5700-5800 rpm. maybe you ran the wire wrong?? dont know. :shrug2:

I know...I got that pic from you ;) I did the same test you did and I did not see that thing move either. I don't think that rod (talking about that rod coming from that spaceship looking thing, right?)can come down as it is already down. So does anyone know if that pic shows the solonoid in the open position or closed position?

~joe

Thanks B...Now if I'm getting this right, (since I have an obd1 ecu and obd1 harness) moving a20 to a17 is not good enough. I still have to wire a 12v source wire to the black wire on the IAB plug, right? Thanks...

~joe

your using an obd1 harness? hrm... that might change things a little.... the article was written for obd2 motor and harness with obd1 car and ecu... I'm really not sure.

Back