Shifting Problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GQMarques

GQMarquesâ„¢
Story: Ok, I have a '95 civic ex. I had a stage 3 clutch put in because thats what was in it when I bought it and I liked the response I got. Also when I bought the car it had no muffler on it either, so when I went for an inspection, ofcourse they said I had to have a muffler in order to pass, blah blah blah... So I got a stock muffler put on it just to hold me over til i decide what type to put on. Now that I have a muffler... I'm racing, right? ... and when I shift from 1st to 2nd my car starts jolting back and forth. It feels like my cars being choked. Even from 2nd to 3rd I get the same thing but only slightly.

Question: Is it definitely my muffler causing this or the clutch? What muffler should I install to match the clutch? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Marquesâ„¢

I don't think the clutch would have anything to do with the muffler, if anything get a different muffler (bigger) because the engine probably isn't used to a muffler slowing the flow. Try taking off the muffler and drive around the block a few times quick and if it stops doing that then you most likely need a bigger muffler with mo flo.

Edit: Remeber this is just my opinion so if someone with a little more knowledge on this comes by you should try what they say first.

Edit 2: Did you get a new muffler or is it still the stock one because your story is kind of vague.

Last edited:
HTML:
So I got a stock muffler put on it just to hold me over til i decide what type to put on.

Still got the stock muffler... any suggestions for a muffler? Not looking for the mo ped or law mower effect... strictly best performance.

thanks for the insight tho.

Marquesâ„¢

if you want any type of horsepower gain you will need a full cat-back exhaust with header. If you want a silent exhaust, check out the Apex'i World Sport. You need air to be able to flow in as well, so pick up an intake. AEM makes nice intakes.

As far as the "choking" of your car is concerned. Try letting the cluth out slower. It also may be your suspension. Does the car have wheel-hop?

Also don't get an exhaust tip that's too big otherwise is affects your low-end horsepower.

I got DC headers already... big change there. I haven't picked a full cat back exhaust yet cuz i'm not sure which is best in performance. In hawaii most of the best products have to be ordered from the main land so I gotta be sure its the right one before placing orders. sux. NeWays, so if you can throw a dog a bone, i'll appreciate it. thanks for all the input so far also.

Marcus

BTW~ I never knew an exhaust tip did ne thing but looks lol not that i want one, but do they really make a difference?

Exhaust tips, mufflers, are responsible for the noise distribution. Like I said, the Apex'i World Sport is pretty quiet, good deep tone. However, the Apex'i N1 exhaust is quite a bit louder. The DC header is a good start. I also have to order all of my parts online. I think many on here do as well. Like I said before, once you have a full exhaust, you have air exiting the car easily, but you will need an intake to freely bring/suck air into your motor as well.

its your clutch, everytime you're shifting, you're bogging it. get on the gas quicker. a "stage 3" will grab harder and quicker than stock. engagement point is probably shorter than stock too.

Your exhaust has NOTHING to do with it.

Back