Shittiest story, maybe of the entire year...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

UNDR8D

...has a job!
I'm sure nobody noticed but I haven't posted in a while. I recently flew home to receive competent medical attention because I developed a strange and perplexing problem. It all started about two months ago, right before Easter. One night my right leg started to hurt. It was a sharp pain which I would liken to Sciatica. In fact, that's probably what it is. When the pain started I did what any rational person would do, and began to take Advil regularly. About two weeks into taking Advil for my leg, my mouth started to get extremely hot and dry, like, I was ALWAYS thirsty and couldn't really satisfy it, ever. I started drinking about 3 or 4 gallons of liquid a day and pissing incessantly, like, every half hour or so. The thirst persisted and soon, my hands, feet, face, elbows, etc. started to dry out as well. I didn't pay much attention to it. I'm pretty healthy so I figured it would fix itself. I theorized that it was the Advil and, if I stopped taking it, the thirst and dry mouth would go away. Now, because I was drinking so much and pissing so much, I had to get up AT LEAST every hour at night. I was falling behind on sleep. It started to get really bad. In fact, it got much worse. I started to lose sleep and soon I began to feel delirious. I never slept more than 45 minutes at a time. I lost my appetite and couldn't hold down solid foods or milk, which was devastating because I live on milk. I made it through finals but barely. It got to the point where I couldn't leave the house because I needed constant liquid and was pissing every 20 minutes. My body was literally screaming for liquid. Sometimes I would drink so much I would fill my stomach completely and have to puke. It was never enough. Meanwhile, I'm still losing sleep to the point where I'm not really sleeping. Even if I didn't have to piss every 20 minutes, I didn't have the energy to get dressed and go anywhere. I was at an all time physical low. I've been tired before but this was different...much worse. After finals everyone left the area. I decided to go to the hospital (West Virginia FTMFL:mad:) to try to get help. The ER doctor was convinced I was diabetic, even though my blood sugar was only 94. The blood tests came back negative so the douche bag sends me on my way with Prednisone, offering no real help at all. I took the Prednisone and it only made things worse. All the doctors and nurses I have dealt with since then can not understand why they would have prescribed that to me. My heart rate got all jacked up and I felt feverish at all times. My girlfriend stuck around for a few days but had to fly home on the 13th. I was alone and felt like I was dying. Every day my body felt more deteriorated. I can't put in to words how much I felt like death. I wasn't sleeping and wasn't eating. So, I decided the only way I was going to get any real help is if I flew home to NH to seek competent medical attention. The first day back I went to the ER at a good hospital. They took nearly 600 vials of blood and urine and did every test possible. Everything came back ok, (blood sodium and osmolality, urine sodium and osmolality, thyroid, liver, kidney, CT scan, everything!). I half expected to be told I had an inoperable brain tumor. Well, after nearly a whole day in the ER a very astute doctor and his PA presented me with a possible solution. They theorized that I had a strange and rarely seen condition called Diabetes Insipidus. This occurs when the pituitary gland does not produce of enough or the kidneys do not recognize the anti-diuretic hormone DDAVP aka ADH. Normally, your body will retain a level of the fluid that you intake and distribute it appropriately. Without this hormone, it will just piss it all the fuck out. This explains why I was always thirsty and why my appendages were drying out. I went to see a very bright Endocrinologist who agreed with the diagnosis. Since there is no way to directly test for the hormone, we had to take the long route. He had me do a 24 hour urine collection. The lab gave me 4 half-gallon jugs. I filled those plus 4 gallon milk jugs, and one 2 quart juice bottle, for a total of 6.5 gallons of piss. I also was told to monitor my fluid intake that day. I drank 6.2 gallons. The Endocrinologist was very sure about his diagnosis but wanted to be 100% sure. A few days later I checked into the hospital again to do a water deprivation test. You can't drink any liquid at all while they monitor your urine and vitals and take blood every hour to see what is happening to you. The test normally takes between 12-24 hours. It took me only 4.5 hours to reach critical levels of dehydration, etc. After that, they gave me a shot of the hormone. Within 30 minutes my piss concentrated and turned yellow again and I felt markedly better. So, the diagnosis was official. I have Diabetes Insipidus. The Endocrinologist said he has only diagnosed it twice in 10 years. Normally the only people who have pituitary based Insipidus are people with brain cancer or people who received head trauma in some sort of accident. I have been involved in neither. How the fuck did this happen? We don't know. I now have to take a hormone pill several times a day, potentially for the rest of my life. Is that fucked up or what?

holy shit! i read all of that. thats nuts. very good that you were diagnosed... and you're getting healthier.

I did notice your absence as of late actually...

Anyway, that's really shitty man, but at least they finally figured it out. Is the pill the only thing you'll need to do? If so, then consider yourself lucky. My dad is diabetic and I had a diabetic girlfriend once, and their lives suck. You have to watch what you eat and monitor your blood sugar constantly. And if you mess up, you'll most likely end up feeling like crap.

So did this just now present itself after all this time? Was it dormant up until now?

yeah thats pretty fucked hope you doin fine now

I expected to see something like "my car got stolen."

But fuck dude. I'm definitely glad that at the very least you know what's wrong, and that you can help it, even if you do have to take a pill multiple times a day, possibly forever.

Good to see you back though UNDR. At least it was diagnosed.

Although I saw a doctor about something similar. It hits me here and there, for about 2 days at a time. Never diagnosed it.

It's improved quite a bit, but I had hot flashes that were "FLAME ON" level, and a year of nausea to back it up. One day, it just went away. That was about 2 years ago.

Ya. It's really fucked up. We don't know what caused it. I had an MRI so they could check out my pituitary but I haven't heard anything so I assume it's ok. I decided Dave that if I need medical attention in the tri-state area ever again, I will go to UPMC. I got to the point where I didn't care if I was actually diabetic, had cancer, HIV, etc. I just wanted to know what it was so it cold be treated yknow.

Glad to hear they found it and you're doing alright. Yeah, it's fucked up but somebody's always got it worse.

I've had heart problems for a while now and went through quite a bit of testing about 2 years ago and found nothing. This passed weekend I was the only non-smoker out of eight people and realized that second-hand smoke is a primary cause of this extreme chest pain that causes me to clutch the left side of my chest in pain. It causes my left temple to hurt, extremely shallow breathing, and I can't use any muscle on the left side of my body from the waist up without making it unbearable. It happens daily for an average of 1 minute at a time and it scares the shit outta me.

holy crap. pretty much speechless, and want to give props to the docs that sorted out your symptoms, under8d. i can't believe you actually pissed 6 gallons in 24 hours - i mean i don't doubt you, but i can't freaking believe it - just...wow!

as for kanned and your heart - made me think of 'untamed heart' w/christian slater. aww :) ps get that shit checked; maybe you need a pacemaker.

Wow, figure the odds of having that. It's weird that it just crept up on you all of a sudden.

Glad to hear they found it and you're doing alright. Yeah, it's fucked up but somebody's always got it worse.

I've had heart problems for a while now and went through quite a bit of testing about 2 years ago and found nothing. This passed weekend I was the only non-smoker out of eight people and realized that second-hand smoke is a primary cause of this extreme chest pain that causes me to clutch the left side of my chest in pain. It causes my left temple to hurt, extremely shallow breathing, and I can't use any muscle on the left side of my body from the waist up without making it unbearable. It happens daily for an average of 1 minute at a time and it scares the shit outta me.

You're right. Someone always does have it worse. I'm counting my blessings. As for you, I would get some professional help as soon as possible. It doesn't sound terminal but there's no way I would know. God forbid it escalates into paralysis of that whole side or something equally scary.

It's good to see that you are back and know what is wrong with you after being properly diagnosed. Count your blessings that it was not cancer related for sure. I will keep you in my prayers. Welcome back. I'm very happy it wasn't anything more serious. Even if you have to be on medication the rest of your life, thank God it wasn't anything more serious and that there is treatment for your condition.

Thats a pretty wild story. Luckily you went to that competent hospital and got it all straightened out!! :) GL!!

i'm not one to get lawsuit happy, but maybe you have something on the first medical idjuts that tried treating you..:confused:

at least get them to pay for the care you had to travel to get.

glad you're feeling better.. having had cancer and being in and out of hospitals for 4 yrs, i know how ya feel.. i'd gone through sleepless months basically and was pissing blood for a month.. not fun..

i'm not one to get lawsuit happy, but maybe you have something on the first medical idjuts that tried treating you..:confused:

at least get them to pay for the care you had to travel to get.

Most likely he does not have grounds for a lawsuit especially since it is such a rare diagnosis.

glad you're feeling better.. having had cancer and being in and out of hospitals for 4 yrs, i know how ya feel.. i'd gone through sleepless months basically and was pissing blood for a month.. not fun..

See, that is why I'm not too bummed about the whole thing. I realize it could have been a lot worse. I prayed a ton

Most likely he does not have grounds for a lawsuit especially since it is such a rare diagnosis.

I wouldn't bother anyway. I will probably just call them and relate the story and tell them I'm not going to pay it unless they reduce the bill substantially. From my parents' experience hospitals are usually willing to negotiate. I will have my come-uppance though, as I do not have insurance and, legally I can pay the bill at my leisure, and there is nothing they can say or do. If I can only pay $5 a month they have to accept it. Also, the two hospitals I dealt with at home have very generous patient assistance programs based on income level, etc. Since I am a student working part time, I will qualify and get probably $15,000 worth of medical attention for free, which I might add, is cheaper than having insurance. In some circumstances it pays to have no money ;)...ok, not really but, yknow.

I'm glad your on the road to getting better....shit happens to all of us, some get the last card, and thats when crap really flies. For some reason, ranting about it here makes it a lot bearable. I hope you can get to a state of recovery to where your not in and out of hospitals for the rest of your life. It still sucks, but all of us has almost had the same crap happen to us at one time or another, or has yet to happen. When my wife woke up one day and couldn't walk...that scared the crap out of me, also seeing her in a recovery room after she had a huge operation and she had complications...I'm thankful that she pulled thru, but pissed off that I couldn't do anything for her. I know I'll inevitably will be in the same situation sooner or later, prolly lung cancer or hit by a drunk driver....so I've prepared to the best I can to have her live a few years debt free and in a house that she can sell and move on with her life.

I guess if your ever in my area, and I'm having a meet....beer is out of the question for you.

Good luck, and keep strong. We're here for ya if you need to vent, and want moral support.

I was also in the near same situation, pissing every 15 minutes when I was 16. I had been in and out of doctors offices and they couldn't find out what was the problem until I watched a movie one night, laughed, buckeled over and bawled my head off so much that they took me to the ER. Later they found a lymph node the size of my fist on my bladder...once removed with a funky scar that goes up my abs, I trained for years and ended up with a stomach that can push and do anything....and hold my piss while drinking and make everyone in the room piss twice before I even break the piss seal....

Back