Shitty Wireless Card

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

endlesszeal

My mate has a airlink card he got from Frys. It was working fine in his previous machine, but just built a new rig. Problem is, when he installs the card, the computer goes full load and the cpu usage never dips below 80% plus the internet is slow as balls. I thought maybe it was firmware, tried an older version, but no aval. Tried using windows utility but no go. So I thought it could be the new crappy ECS mobo, swapped my gf's sister's netgear and works like magic. Popped the airlink one into hers and same situation on her computer.

Im stumped, wtf can it be? Can it be the IRQ? If it is, how can i change it?

Thanks guys.

does it pop into one of those pci boards that has a pcmcia slot on it?

if so - get a usb one. you'll thank me later.

i think those cards just suck. My Microsoft wNIC is pretty good. Cant go wrong with a LinkSYS, intel, or NetGear card either. There rest its kinda hit and miss...i know we run complete wireless lan parties and no one has any other manufacturers than what i just listed.

netgear usb wifi stuff is awesome, and so is the linksys usb stuff.

i've acctually had very good results with d-link, i did it originally because i was poor at the time,but was pleasently suprised at what it can do. i download around 400-700kb sec. not bad for wireless :) it also depends on your curent base station, usually the base station is in a bad area for connection.

oh, i have that 108mbps card, not the 54mbps

it aint a dlink, its an airlink. think its a frys thing.

anyway, im getting pissed at it and want to tell him to junk it, but he deosnt want too. its one of those pci 2.2 ones. he bought because he had USB1.1 before, but since he upgraded he has a 2.0.

how does a usb 2.0 compare with a pci slot wifi? pretty much the same?

anyway, i tried moving it to different slots and was thinking about signing an irq manually, but read that i should just leave it alot and junk the shit.

you arent going to notice a performance difference, actually you will probably get better results with the usb 2.0 adapter.

Back