sigh... another build thread. but this one will also end without epicness

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hahaha damn thread jackers.

yea, im just going to run it the way it is now just for fun and if i get serious about racing it competitively, ill try to look for someplace that may want to sponsor me and get a proper cage built for my rex. safety isnt really an issue on the cage. its is solid as hell! everything is tig welded to plates and everything is nice and solid. the one thing that would be difficult when making a new cage is where the loop used to go through the front fenders. its no bolt in cusco cage. its well made, it just doesnt meet the standards of NASA because they are kind of strict.

Start out in NASA Time Trials. I'll be starting TTC later this year. Come join me. :)

I've just realized.. This is a track car.. Why put so much effort into looks when you'll be rubbing fenders and slapping cones?

I've just realized.. This is a track car.. Why put so much effort into looks when you'll be rubbing fenders and slapping cones?

call me anal, but i have to make it look good. i have a nasty habit of putting 110 percent into everything i do. sure i could slap it all together and track the piss out if it but id rather start with it being nice and mess it up at the track so i have motivation to make it look nice again. besides, the way things are turning out, ill probably be doing mostly time trials with this car.

This is just like my "deer rifle". Put a couple thousand into it, 7mm rem mag Remington Model 700 Police sharp shooter modified to death.. Lots of military grade gear on it.. floated heavy barrel, Sniper grade scope, Harris tactical bi-pod, weighted butt, blah blah blah blah.

Never actually shot a deer with it. Actually only put the better part of one box of ammo through it. Then I sold it.. A sub 1/2 MA rifle.

Fun is in the build.

Last edited:
yea thats true. half of the fun is building it. that is why we are car enthusiasts. i get the same feeling saving a crx from becoming scrap metal that some hippie liberal gets from saving a ugandan baby from starving to death. although, i have been trying my hardest to mentally detach my ownership and effort put into the car so i can properly drive it out on the track without worrying about it has proven difficult because i really do love this car. my mindset will get there tho.

i get the same feeling saving a crx from becoming scrap metal that some hippie liberal gets from saving a ugandan baby from starving to death.
The difference being that you're saving the car just to beat it into submission and make it you're own little track whore, where-as the hippie lets someone else have the fun later on down the road.

although, i have been trying my hardest to mentally detach my ownership and effort put into the car so i can properly drive it out on the track without worrying about it has proven difficult because i really do love this car. my mindset will get there tho.
Then you need to stop doing things just to "make it look good". I'm completely detached from my Honda. I'm willing to accept it as a total loss WHEN it does happen; because it will. You really should understand that by putting it on track it is only a matter of time. Thing is with my Honda, I don't love it at all. It just just a tool I use for my enjoyment.

Then you need to stop doing things just to "make it look good". I'm completely detached from my Honda. I'm willing to accept it as a total loss WHEN it does happen; because it will. You really should understand that by putting it on track it is only a matter of time. Thing is with my Honda, I don't love it at all. It just just a tool I use for my enjoyment.

well, aesthetics is subjective. i mean, everything i have done for looks is justified by performance. for example, having a smooth paint job helps with aerodynamics, shaving the gas door although it added weight with the body filler and welds, it also helps with aerodynamics. painting the cage helps with corrosion, ect ect. i do love the car, but im not attached to it.

B16 don't love that hoe! If I have to say whore one more damn time!

its okay, we all have hookers on the mind every once and a while. just means you need to go out and get some stank on the hanglow.

hey kinda comin out of right field here but on the sunject of removing dents mythbusters did a thing were they dimpled a car like a golf ball and it got better gas mileage...?

What you're doing for aerodynamics is negligible. You're better off saving that extra weight in bodyfiller, etc.

I guess you're right, I do treat my Honda like a dirty whore. Use when I want to ride the shit out of her hard and put her away wet. :)

hey kinda comin out of right field here but on the sunject of removing dents mythbusters did a thing were they dimpled a car like a golf ball and it got better gas mileage...?

link to said mythbusters?

What you're doing for aerodynamics is negligible. You're better off saving that extra weight in bodyfiller, etc.

I guess you're right, I do treat my Honda like a dirty whore. Use when I want to ride the shit out of her hard and put her away wet. :)

yea you are right about the weight. its only a few ounces at the most but still, i hate having to look at a gas door that i cant use. plus, im putting the gas fill in the rear quarter panel glass and you cant drill tempered glass so its forcing me to do those in flexalite. all in all, the shaving of the gas door will save me weight.

i know. i have fucked up logic hahaaha.

Last edited:
For the window, make a template out of cardboard and take it to TAP Plastics; they have the Lexan there. Did my rear window on my Sol that way and cost around $40 for the scratch free type.

but if i go to tap, it wont have the curvature that is in the stock window. i want the windows to look somewhat stock. the only windows im doing on lexan are the rear quarter glass and the windshield. btw, if you guys know anyone that wants to buy my jdm amber quarter glass, let me know.

just use a hair dryer to bend that shit. :)

I don't think any race series allows the front windshield to be Lexan.

Back