Slow to engage in Reverse HELP!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jkwanus

I experienced a lag time in shifting gear in reverse. Mine is 89 civic wagon 4x4.

If I move the gear shift fast (holding the left button on gear shift) from D to R without pausing on N, it starts slow to engage 4 - 5 sec.

To avoid the slow engagement, I have to push up the gear lever (without holding left button ) to N and pause about 1 sec on (N) position before pushing up gear lever (with holding left button on gear shift )into (R) . If shift the gear D- N - R in step slowly just not very fast, then it works normally.

Any help!

Thanks

Shop removed tansmission and overhauled including rebuilt torque converter, flush tans cooler and reinstall it. Motor was not rebuit.
Thanks for your quick advice

Then I would take it back to whoever rebuilt it , and have them look at it.. Sounds like they messed something up..

I put my wagon in garage a few days and warmed up enough by shifting gear into N, then it seemed to work properly. However, if weather gets colder and I park my wagon on a street, it starts the delay again.

flush the tranny fluid, and put some good stuff in, hopefully it works, or maybe the shifter linkage needs to be adjusted. good luck

Back