SOHC Vtec Swap, 88-91 Civics

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ThrowbackHatch89DX

Wut up everyone, i have and 89 hatch DX and i was planning on doing a b16a swap but decided to do a SOHC Vtec swap because it was cheaper. So basically what do i need to put a D16Z6 into my 89 civic hatch DX. and is there a big difference between the 1.5L JDM Sohc Vtec and the 1.6L U.S. Sohc Vtec, which do y'all suggest for the swap????? thanks

TonY

the jdm d15b vtec has a stronger cam and puts out 130hp the d16z6 has 125, id go with the d15b vtec, they are fun motors. run the sohc vtec the same as if you were putting in a d16a6, you need 88-91 mounts, obd0 injectors, resister box, 88-91 Si/88-89 teg ecu, Si distributer, and perform an mpfi conversion, then to run it for vtec, you can either convert your whole car to OBD1,(not recommended) or run it to a rpm switch, or to a button then unplug your map sensor from the firewall and plug it into the map on the intake manifold.

SOHC engines are a waste of time but they are cheap so thats why they are popular...Go JDM 1.5L, its easier to build...

UnlimitedEK9

Originally posted by UnlimitedEK9@Jun 14 2004, 11:17 PM
SOHC engines are a waste of time but they are cheap so thats why they are popular...Go JDM 1.5L, its easier to build...

UnlimitedEK9

how are sohc engines a waste of time, you can make tons of poweer with a sohc and buy no means is the 1.5 easier to build

They are pretty much the same, I would go with which everone you can get that has the best price/warrenty, and has the cheapest shipping.

Originally posted by HondaMoCo@Jun 14 2004, 08:07 PM
then to run it for vtec, you can either convert your whole car to OBD1,(not recommended) or run it to a rpm switch, or to a button

Not smart to run vtec from a rpm switch or a button. There is no way of regulating the fuel up top when vtec is on. The engine will run lean/rich, and could possibly go to the shitter. Wouldn't that make the swap pointless?

VAFC is what I'd recommend over doing an obd1 conversion, but obd1 would be the most legit, and in stock form the best, but probably the hardest to tackle.

Originally posted by 91crx+Jun 15 2004, 03:59 PM-->
UnlimitedEK9
@Jun 14 2004, 11:17 PM

UnlimitedEK9

how are sohc engines a waste of time, you can make tons of poweer with a sohc and buy no means is the 1.5 easier to build

I was comparing them to the DOHC engines...I want to build a SOHC engine but I just think they're a waste of time compared to the DOHC engines because you can get a lot more power out of DOHC engines...Its all personal choice...I like DOHC you like SOHC...

UnlimitedEK9

Back