some advice

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

the hf gets good gas mileage because of the gears, carb and ecu

I have swapped out three transmissions into my CRX to see what the gas mileage would do - I was looking mainly for gas mileage. Here is what I found:

Auto - average 35-42mpg - 10K - summer
SI tranny - average 35-42mpg - 6K fall
HF tranny - average 37-40mpg - 2k winter

RPM@ 65 3,000 both Auto and SI
2,000 with HF

Please note that HF tranny was put in winter so I expect it to improve a lot in summer.

Also note that I have 16 valve motor (DX) that torque peeks @ 3,500 or 4,500 this I think is not an optimized combination. I will be installing a HF head and MPFI soon that has peek torque @ around 2,500 rpm. I think this will also help considerably. So far my thinking has not proven out but facts are facts.

So far the figures do not show high mpg gaiins with the tall transmission - again winter with below zero temps.

I do about 50/50 city and highway driving.

FYI,

Bryan

So far I have not seen the

why not something like the d16a6 ....

i had one before i got my z6.

It has some get up, good gas mileage, after market support and its cheap.

really if your just looking for more umph and not looking to tear off a line that might be a good choice ...

well guys I got a really nice DOHC ZC almost too good of an engine for this car. got the engine Monday and it's already in the car. Tomorrow I'll get the radiator, some vacuum lines, fluids, and fire up that baby. lets see how it goes. I was told that since the ZC has lots of torque and you don't have to step on it to move, I wouldn't loose too much gas millage with the HF tranny.
now I might need a SIR hood because this HF came with a carbon-fiber hood OEM style. Its going to look rice if I use washers to raise it up.

Last edited:
You're having clearance issues?? Never heard anything about that motor not fitting good in a Rex before. Owell, Put the washers under the hood hinges (the part of the hinge that connects to the car, not the hood) It will give you space to solve any clearance issues and it will look JDM-ish. i think PASSWORDJDM.com sells a set of extended hinges but they are pricey.

You're having clearance issues?? Never heard anything about that motor not fitting good in a Rex before. Owell, Put the washers under the hood hinges (the part of the hinge that connects to the car, not the hood) It will give you space to solve any clearance issues and it will look JDM-ish. i think PASSWORDJDM.com sells a set of extended hinges but they are pricey.
From what I heard, the only thing you do to the stock hood to fit the engine, is to cut some of the braces out. this engine it is larger than the regular USDM ones. Remember that the JDM SIR hoods are different.

It seems strange for you to have issues with it hitting the hood. My b16 doesnt hit and the hood is stock with nothing cut out.

2-shea maykel, I inspected a few pics of the ZC and it does look akwardly tall, like the pitch of the valves in the ZC are steeper and the cams are closer together, which probally makes the head taller then say...a B-series.

It's alive!!!! hehehehe It's alive...:bonk::happydance:
:wavetowel2:I started it today and it runs awesome. The only thing my speedometer is not working. I have to check on the cable.

Last edited:
SwEeT...... glad its kickin' Screw the speedo, leave it broke! You can use that as an excuse for when you get pulled over for speeding!:D

Back