Some turbo n00b Questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mr_sol

Ok guys,

I need some advice from the turbo gods :worthy: .
Getting ready to turbo my B16a2 del sol and need some guidance...

here is the setup so far:

Vecco.net tubular manifold
Uberdata and 450cc DSM injectors
Garret T3 with a .42a/r compressor, and a .48a/r turbine. The compressor housing has been ported to .60 a/r.
skunk2 adjustable cam gears

Compression and leakdown tests obviously before any of the major work takes place!

here are the questions:

I am planning on running a stock block and valvetrain so 8 psi seems to be the best option is this fairly safe?

Thinking about GSR Cams, good idea or a waste of money due to the low boost

Will a '90 ford probe I/C work well on my setup. or is it too small?

I have swapped to a dual core dohc del sol radiator will this adequately cool my set-up? I will probably run a pusher fan in front of the radiator for clearance.

What is the best bang for buck for a good external wastegate for the turbo? Crushed DSM, Audi, or a Tial knockoff

How are the Turbo XS BOV are they a waste of money or a good low budget solution?

Should I fork out the money to go with a MSD SCI ignition setup?

I am hoping for 225 WHP after this install is this attainable?

Am I forgetting anything?

Of course I will tune after this install. :)

Vecco.net tubular manifold
Uberdata and 450cc DSM injectors
Garret T3 with a .42a/r compressor, and a .48a/r turbine. The compressor housing has been ported to .60 a/r.
skunk2 adjustable cam gears

sounds good. turbo is a little on the small side, but will suit you well for a low 200 whp setup.

why do you need cam gears?? don't waste the cash.

I am planning on running a stock block and valvetrain so 8 psi seems to be the best option is this fairly safe?

don't let psi limit you. let power limit you. a STOCK b16 properly tuned will hold 300 hp daily driven.
you'll probably max out the 450's before you max out the motor.

Thinking about GSR Cams, good idea or a waste of money due to the low boost

gsr cams are a great addition for a boosted car. lots of guys amke 400 hp with them.

Will a '90 ford probe I/C work well on my setup. or is it too small?

its pretty damn tiny. i'd get something bettter- a front mount. check out the johnny race core IC's. they are dirt cheap and pretty good at cooling this type of setup.

I have swapped to a dual core dohc del sol radiator will this adequately cool my set-up?

sure. the single/stock one would be fine too, provided it is in good condfition. the dual core just adds a little more cooling ability.

I will probably run a pusher fan in front of the radiator for clearance.

cool. autozone sells some decent ones for dirt cheap.

What is the best bang for buck for a good external wastegate for the turbo? Crushed DSM, Audi, or a Tial knockoff

sounds like you're confusing wastegate with blow off valve.

a small t3 like you say is probably internally gated. for a BOV, the DSM ones seem to work pretty good.

How are the Turbo XS BOV are they a waste of money or a good low budget solution?

i'd run a dsm one before a turboxs one... but thats just me. personally, i wouldn't run either. i'm a tial whore :D

Should I fork out the money to go with a MSD SCI ignition setup?

completely useless. the stock honda igition system is perfectly fine for double your power potential.

I am hoping for 225 WHP after this install is this attainable?

sure.. it'll probably take more than 10 psi to get there on that dinky turbo tough... so you may need to look into running a GM 3-bar map sensor.

Am I forgetting anything?

lots of stuff :)

oil lines, downpipe, charge pipes, gauges, wideband, nice fat sticky tires up front :)

Edit- bah, i suck at multi quoting... lol

Thanks for the great info and answers...

This is an externally wastegated turbo, so I should run a Tial Wastegate and get a 8 psi spring for it...

I am stuck with the Probe I/C for now, perhaps later I will move to a bigger one after I get tired of this set-up and go with a T3/T4 Hybrid.

Where is a good place to find a GM 3 bar map sensor? and I am assuming it directly replaces the stock MAP correct?

I need colder plugs gapped to like .3 should I fart around with like NGK iridiums or get some Zex plugs pregapped for turbo/nitrous?

I think a 255 lph fuel pump is in the works as well. Is bbk a good choice for this.

I Have a hookup to port and polish the head install valves, springs and retainers, the GSR Cams for 300 bucks! Should I be looking for bigger valves and such now, like a CTR valve train or is stock a good option on the GSR Cams for this turbo.

I have the plumbing shit on my to get list, there is a place on ebay tuner toys which sells the oil, and water fittings and hoses for like 50 bucks for each set shipped. I have a shop lined up to fab the downpipe, and run 3" all the way out, I have a magnaflow straight through on it now.

I will fab my own i/c piping I have read about some better clamps than hose clamps to connect the charge piping together. Where can I find those at?

Will I need a Vaccum source distribution block?

I will run an analog a/f meter, oil pressure, and boost gauges, anything else a good idea?

Of course all maintenance items will be replaced even if not necessary i.e. pcv valve,
fuel filter, timing belt, how are the Toda timing belts are they a waste of money. I know i will need to weld a return bung on the oilpan, but I saw those shitty OBX knockpff of the moroso oil pans with a windage baffle and a bung already in it, I know its OBX but it's just an oil pan? Is this a good idea?

enough for now I know I'm annoying everyone but I want to do this right. I'll probably document the whole process with some video and pics and post as well.

Oh yeah I will be putting in the LSD next weekend. Quaife Ownz!!!!!

Thanks for the great info and answers...

This is an externally wastegated turbo, so I should run a Tial Wastegate and get a 8 psi spring for it...

sounds good. tial 38's are good deals.

I am stuck with the Probe I/C for now, perhaps later I will move to a bigger one after I get tired of this set-up and go with a T3/T4 Hybrid.

if you live in the south, just be careful for hot IAT temps... heat soak is a bitch.

Where is a good place to find a GM 3 bar map sensor? and I am assuming it directly replaces the stock MAP correct?

GMpartsdirect.com sells them, MSD makes a copy, and so on. they are like 50 bucks, and are NOT a direct replacement. basically, you need to tap the 3 wires into the oem map sensor harness, unplug the oem map, and run a vac line to the 3-bar. don't foget to get the pigtail witht he 3-bar as well.
but at 8 psi, you won't need it. the oem 1,8 bar map is good for 11psi.

I need colder plugs gapped to like .3 should I fart around with like NGK iridiums or get some Zex plugs pregapped for turbo/nitrous?

NGK BKR7E
done.

I think a 255 lph fuel pump is in the works as well. Is bbk a good choice for this.

walbro all the way. its like 85 bucks.

I Have a hookup to port and polish the head install valves, springs and retainers, the GSR Cams for 300 bucks! Should I be looking for bigger valves and such now, like a CTR valve train or is stock a good option on the GSR Cams for this turbo.

head work is entirely unnecessary for turbo cars. sure, it will add a little more, but the turbo and buttom end is where the initial focus should be.
gsr cams will be held in place by the b16 valve train no problem. their lift isn't much more-- its their duration that makes them a better choice.

I have the plumbing shit on my to get list, there is a place on ebay tuner toys which sells the oil, and water fittings and hoses for like 50 bucks for each set shipped. I have a shop lined up to fab the downpipe, and run 3" all the way out, I have a magnaflow straight through on it now.

cool :)

I will fab my own i/c piping I have read about some better clamps than hose clamps to connect the charge piping together. Where can I find those at?

T-bolt clamps are what you are referring to. and they ARENT cheap. full-race.com apt-turbo.com sells 'em. they are like $8 a piece.

Will I need a Vaccum source distribution block?

its not necessary- but it cleans up the install a little bit. mine leaked like hell tough... if i had to do it again, i'd probably just use T's.

I will run an analog a/f meter

why, so you can watch a light show?

without a wideband o2, an a/f gauge is worthless.
look at getting a plx m300 from plxdevices.com

, oil pressure, and boost gauges, anything else a good idea?

EGT.

Of course all maintenance items will be replaced even if not necessary i.e. pcv valve,
fuel filter, timing belt, how are the Toda timing belts are they a waste of money.

just use an oem belt. the toda ones are great for 10,000 rpms motors, but you're turbo car won't need it.

I know i will need to weld a return bung on the oilpan, but I saw those shitty OBX knockpff of the moroso oil pans with a windage baffle and a bung already in it, I know its OBX but it's just an oil pan? Is this a good idea?

i would rather walk than have obx parts on my car, but thats me.

enough for now I know I'm annoying everyone but I want to do this right. I'll probably document the whole process with some video and pics and post as well.

nice :)

Oh yeah I will be putting in the LSD next weekend. Quaife Ownz!!!!!

werd. quaiffe is where its at :)

i don't know why these quotes arne't working... it looks like they are fine to me... all paired up. bah.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 24 2005, 05:10 PM
i don't know why these quotes arne't working... it looks like they are fine to me... all paired up. bah.
[post=490912]Quoted post[/post]​

Wow, you seem really bored, B. You know that if we went back to making stickies, we could be helpful to the people that just casually browse through without asking questions. I've been doing that at dseries.com for the last few weeks, I'm sure it would be helpful to people here.

For all your effort 225whp seems low, especially on a high-flowing B16. Build it right and the only areas I would tag as failspots are the intercooler, and everything between the transmission and the lugnuts. B16s are making 400whp all over the place, but B-series axles aren't enduring a whole lot of 400hp launches.

just researching more for my upcoming boost and seems like some good info here.
hopefully not too old to get closed :ph34r:

bump :wall:

im not asking for more info, just thought there was some good info here. why i bumped it ><

very well then :p

some one fix my quotes. i suck. lol

Back