spy hunter smoke screen...too much oil?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

get_nick

These snozzberries taste like snozzberries...
VIP
so we got a new engine into the eg hatch finally. runs great, just a lot of blue smoke. the engine had 114,000 miles on it. supposedly ran great. i bought it from a friend, but it had been sitting for about a year. the oil had been drained out of it before storage. so....

is it

A) the consequence of sitting for a year
B) the oil was overfilled about 1/2 qt and it's just burning the excess
C) bad motor...

probably a. usually when engines sit that long (without being rebuilt and stuff) we use an engine pickling fluid to keep that shit nice whenever we end up using the engine again. kinda like the 305 we have sitting in my friend's garage. every month we drink a few beers and have a good laugh at the last guy who has to turn the engine with the breaker bar. its a lot of fun and the girls always seem to get a kick out of it.

The time is set aside as guy time, but we always invite the girls over for the fun.

To answer the question, yes, an engine sitting without being turned over will cause excessive smoke because the gummy oil is on the cylinder walls and causing the engine to smoke.

Last edited:
is there anything i can do for it to stop though? or does it just have to basically break in.

try running seafoam through the engine. pour 1/3 of the can in the oil, 1/3 in the gas tank and let the pcv suck up the last 1/3 (be very careful and do it very slowly so that you dont hydrolock the engine). It will smoke PROFUSELY when you do this, so i hope you have understanding neighbors. Let me know if that clears up your problem.

Back