ssautochrome.com

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

b16ingp

What do you guys think of these manifolds? Are they any good? I have seen them on ebay for awhile, and am wondering if they are any good. So who knows?
Thanks

there manifolds are obx products....be wary of ur purchase if any....i how ever got some oem parts from them...cast iron t28 down pipe...now thats not obx! anyhow ive seen there d series turbo manis crack.

i picked up a header for my dx awhile back from them... worked and weathered very nicely. 4-2-1 setup.

an NA header is a total different situation. there is no turbo weight to support, no welds to snap, and frankly, thats just what these obx/meng/ss auto do- crack.

stay away. you're better off with going with a cast log-style manifold if thats your price raneg

As long as you brace the OBX turbo manifold, it'll be fine. It's failing is the quality of the weld. Bracing the turbo takes the weight off the manifold, curing the problem. Turbos should be braced anyway. Go look at a factory turbo car designed to go 100,000+ miles. It has a big ass cast iron manifold, and more bracing than you'd believe.

its more than just the weight and bracing though. i've seen quite a few pics from h-t where the tubing actually splits. they use very thin steel to create these, and they are not strong at all. just know, that even if braced, it won't last long.

If you have access to a TIG and someone who knows how to use it, these manifolds really are a pretty decent deal. You can get them from ebay with the ghetto ass 2.5" downpipe kit for ~$225+s/h.

THESE MANIFOLDS NEED WORK TO BE SERVICEABLE!!! As pissedoffsol has said, they crack and split and do all sorts of nasty things.

SSAutochrome recently made some changes to the manifolds, presumably because they were sick of dealing with the problems. (They do offer a lifetime warranty against cracking. Haven't had the opportuninty to test them on it yet) The B series manifold I recently received had two small iron bars welded between the turbo flange and header flange for bracing. Additionally, I called them and they said that they changed the tubing that they are using and the current tubing is thicker and ore heat resistant than their original design. I don't know whether to beleive this or not but...

I took a quick look at my manifold and there are a few areas that definately are going under the TIG torch:
-B series head flange to tubing: welds here need reinforced, particularly on the top
-Collector: again, the welds at the collector need reinforced inside the "crack" where the tubes join
-Turbo flange: again, the welds between the turbo flange and joined tubes could do with a little work, particularly on the inside.
-Wastegate: brace it to something else on the manifold

Oh yeah, you probably want to get the flanges milled flat again after you do your TIGing and also want to use a better quality gasket than the ones they ship.

All in all, I'm happy with what I got so far, but I sure as hell wouldn't use it on my car without some serious work first. As a $200 tubular manifold that needs $100-150 worth of welding work (tops - if you can't fix it yourself) it is a nice cheapie alternative to the more professional tubulars I've seen with $700+ price tags.

Again, that's just my personal opinion.

its cast, not too terribly expensive... certainly looks less likely to crack :) Not quite sure if its a fair comparison, but looks fine to me (at least what can be seen from that picture...)

ive dealt with ss crome i have never had a problem with them i have even had to exchange a product and they paid shipping to and from canada and i have never seen another company offer this

Back