Stalled after fill up

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vic42

New to Honda be gentle.

My car stalled after i filled the tank today, seemed like it just bogged down, i had to give it lots of gas on the second attempt the keep it going and after a few seconds it ran fine. This is the first time this has happened since i got it last August.

Also when i removed the gas cap there seemed to be quiet alot of vacuum, is this normal for these Honda's?

Otherwise the car runs fantastic, i really enjoy driving it.

Fuel pump? Fuel filter?

Thanks for any suggestions
Chet.

where do you live? hot weather can cause problems with the main relay. I live in texas, so i dont know if cold weather does.

Quoted post[/post]]
where do you live? hot weather can cause problems with the main relay. I live in texas, so i dont know if cold weather does.

Cold weather is a bad relay's friend. I had that problem before, it will always start in cold weather.

thanks for clearing it up. we dont get cold shit in texas.

Is the CEL on. My EGR Valve is all clogged up, and my car usually feels like it is gonna die when i go from 4k RPMs to idle. i sometimes have to pump the gas to get it to stay running.

The cars runs good and strong, i'm in Canada and its cold.

I checked the computer no codes and no flashing, so i think its probably just a one time deal, damn cold plays havoc on everything.

I'll check out my relays tommorow just to be sure.

Thanks for all the replies.

Chet.

didnt you have a no start problem when you bought the car. Might wanna check your battery cables. thats what the problem sounded like last time. might just be grounds that arent connected well.

Yes but it turned out to be a weak battery, put a new one in and all was well again.

I checked the relays this morning and there OK. Someone suggested that i turn the key to on for a second and listen for the pump priming, it hummed just like it should. It started right up this morning no problem.

I'm getting great gas mileage so i don't think its any of the sensors. Unlike my other gas guzzlers, the Honda runs on practically nothing and it has 150,000 miles on it!!

I added some gas line anti-freeze to the tank just to be on the safe side.

I'll leave it be for the next few days and see what happens.

Thanks to all, this site is great!

Chet.

Quoted post[/post]]
I'm getting great gas mileage so i don't think its any of the sensors. Unlike my other gas guzzlers, the Honda runs on practically nothing and it has 150,000 miles on it!!
Chet.

My car just turned 250,000 miles, so I figured to do it in style at 120mph and get a picture of it.

Main Relay. Go to honda and buy a new one for $62.00 That was my problem....what it does is after you turn your car off and the interior is still warm. There is a bad solder in the factory main relays. So when that solder gets warm it doesn't connect very well.

The mercury went down past 0 last night and this morning the car wouldn't start, lots of juice (New battery). i bumped started it and got it going, after about 5 minutes running turned if of and it started right back up like nothing had happened. This always happens when the temp falls below zero.

Theres no codes, everything seems to be in place.

i'm thinking could this be the starter relay or the main relay?

Help
Chet.

definitely check the relay to see what the solder looks like, but it might be a cold start valve. I know on SBCs that is a common problem.

Were is the main relay? I have 2 sets of fuses one set is inside under the steering wheel and the other set is under the hood sitting on top of the strut tower.

I used a hair dryer to heat up the fuse box under the steering wheel and it started right up, so i presume the main relay is under there along with the "Cold start valve"?

Thanks for all your help
Chet.

i really dont know where the main relay is but i can tell ou that it is a big grey box...about 3 or 4 inches long and an inch or so wide. You just pull out the board and see how it looks...sorry i couldnt be of more help. Took me weeks to find it in my prelude, but there is more support for civics on these boards

Thanks for all your help, its greatly appreciated, i know more now than i did before.

I figure it must be under the dash somewhere, so if off to look i go.

Chet.

Back