stay automatic or go manual

Should i stay with an automatic or swap a manual (CANNOT SELL CAR!!!!!!)

• build the automatic transmission

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • buy and build the manual transmission

Votes: 27 93.1%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

oh and by the way i engine brake all the time...i just pull the shifter into the gear i want and give the engine a little rev for a smooth shift

go manual...it's a no brainer...go online and post in a national site that junkyard owners post ads in and ask for a complete manual swap, it shouldn't be much more than 800 to 900 shipped.

:wtf2:
Automatic trannys are better for consistancy in the ET's, not neccesarily faster ET's but it does help.
Have you not heard of double clutching on a manual tranny?

Too much Fast and Furious? You don't double clutch when you're drag racing- it slows you down.

Dont let off the gas, just push the clutch, shift and release without letting off the gas. There are other ways of double clutching.

But it is hard as hell on the drivetrain!!

This is "power shifting" not double clutching, and there is only ONE way to double clutch. What you described is NOT it.

By the way, double clutching is actually easier on the drivetrain than other methods of shifting.

Correct me if i'm wrong isn't double clutching only used in cicuits and road racing coming into a turn? i thought the process was just shifting into neutral, giving the car a nice rev, then shifting into a lower gear

do you know the name of any of these sites i've never heard of these before
Used Auto Parts on Junk Yard Dog ® is the one i posted my part request on and got a ton of people from all around the nation e-mailing me on their manual swap kits...that was a good thing cause i could pick out the best priced one.
i'll make a list of others:

Salvage Yards Junkyard Online Store Locator
Used Auto Parts - Used Salvage Car Parts and Truck Parts - Junk Yards Online - PartRequest.com
those should be all the links you need to get going...good luck!:D :D

double clutching...
press clutch in, put gear in neutral, let off clutch, tap gas, push in clutch, put in lower gear, then let off the clutch...
method is for passing.. not racing..
*you've watched The F&F too many times.. dont go by what they say.. their actors.. :)

Why dont you save your money and dont turbo your motor. Instead, take that one out, throw it away and buy a K20 with a MT? Well doesnt have to be a K20 but a GSR motor will probably put out more hp than a turboed d16y8. But anyway you take it. go Manual.....

yeah that seems like the popular vote...manuals are more fun to drive and they can withstand more hp, tq, and overall abuse.

If your still interested in doing the swap i have everything you would need and would work out a good deal for all of your stock auto stuff. I have a 96ex 5sp all stock, and want to put a auto in...Don't ask. If your close (Kentucky) I would also be able to do the work for you for real chap.

Didn't you post in an earlier thread that you are a teenager and your parents won't let you get rid of the car? If thats the case i think they would be happier for you to buy another car than risk ruining yours. Your gonna have to cut off the tranny mount and weld on one from a manual and add the pedals and clutch master. Its alot of work and i think hearing crap from your parents is worth it.

that's cause they know they are asshats and they jump off!:D :D

ok the reason i haven't replied is cause i do have another life than getting on my computer every spare moment...yes that is the reason that i can't sell the car...and i talked to a few people in my are who have done it who are more mechanically inclined than me and they said it's a pain in the ass but it can be done and i'm getting professionals to do it for me when i get the money at the end of the summer and the parts

yeah i know this is an old @$$ thread, but i'd love to see someone build an automatic and try to make it more durable to handle 200+ hp and tq. I'm about to turbo my EG coupe, and i'm keeping it auto. I know the tranny is the limiting factor, but i'm planning on running a big ol' tranny cooler and change my trans fluid with the oil and hopefully it'll last a while...

and then when it breaks, i'll just go manual :cool:

Automatics are BOOOOORRRRIIINNNGGGG. Or maybe it's just me...I'm 16 and just bought my first car a 93 civic it's all in my sig. But yea I don't EVER want to drive an auto again it's a lot more fun when you have more control :).

Back