Strange timing issue

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

therobesons

I have a 1990 CRX HF, all stock getting bad MPG (35-40 MPG is all). 230K miles, uses no oil at all, oil at the full mark from oil change to oil change.

I did a full tune-up and found the timing off.

The timing, using a good snap on timing light, is off by 39 degrees advanced.

Thinking the timing belt was off a tooth or 2 I took the car to a good Honda Mech and had the timing belt checked and found it to be right on! But the timing mark is off 39 degrees. The timing belt would have to be off 4 teeth (9.44 degrees per tooth) to make a 40 degree diff.

I had them replace the belt and all the valve cover seals/gaskets.

But the timing mark (the white one on the bottom pulley) is off by 39 degrees.

I have just replaced the EGR valve, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, timing belt, and had the valves adjusted but the timing is still 39 degrees off (advanced).

How/what can make the timing so far off?

The Honda dude does not know but thinks the pickups or something in the dizzy might have come loss.

What about the rotor (wrong one) or?

Any ideas

TIA

Bob

the ignition timing mark on the crank pulley is the middle mark of the three that are close together - should be red - the fourth mark, off to the right of the other three is the TDC mark - should be white - did you put a jumper on the service connection? - off one tooth on the camshaft is 9.47 degrees on the cam, but is 18.94 degrees on the crank where you are checking the timing - timing should be at 14 degrees (red mark) + or - 2 degrees (other 2 marks)

Last edited:
Buy a timing light and if to advance, retard cam(S), make sure crank is TDC oil pump arrow aligned with the crank pulley mark and cam is pointing up if too retarded that is good for a good idle mark. hope this helps;)

Buy a timing light and if to advance, retard cam(S), make sure crank is TDC oil pump arrow aligned with the crank pulley mark and cam is pointing up if too retarded that is good for a good idle mark. hope this helps;)

Do not guess timing if you do you end up advancing timing on head and crank be to retarded and would have bented valves. That is not good.:(

Back