Stupid Noobie Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

crombie09

Alright sorry about the stupid question, I usually drive domestics, but just aquired this 91 civic hatch. It looks like a fun little project. I'm going to turbo this thing asap. So the question, what engine do I have? The engine that is in it is an 89 Si. Is that a d16? -crombie09

Originally posted by theB16tegguy@Jan 3 2004, 12:17 AM
yes, d16a6

Thanks- is that a decent engine to turbo? Or should I look around for something else? I also have the Si tranny I'm going to install soon. -crombie09

yea it's good but if you've got a little extra money I would get a DOHC ZC from japan.(500$ not shipped) those are an excellent motor to turbo.

Originally posted by theB16tegguy@Jan 3 2004, 12:25 AM
yea it's good but if you've got a little extra money I would get a DOHC ZC from japan.(500$ not shipped) those are an excellent motor to turbo.

Is there any site that I can learn about all this stuff at? Like what a ZC motor is the displacement and hp/tq? -thanks again bro- crombie09

ZC
Displacement (cc): 1595
Power (bhp@rpm): 129@6800
Torque (ft/lbs@rpm): 106@5700
Compression Ratio: 9.6:1
Bore (mm): 75
Stroke (mm): 90
Cam Design: dohc
VTEC?: no
OBD: 0 or 1
Year(s) Produced: 1989-1992
In the following car(s): Honda CRX Si16/1.6i (JDM)

where to buy..... hmotorsonline.com, osakajdmmotors.com, jdmshit.com

D16A6
Displacement (cc): 1590
Power (bhp@rpm): 108@6000
Torque (ft/lbs@rpm): 100@5000
Compression Ratio: 9.1:1
Bore (mm): 75
Stroke (mm): 90
Cam Design: sohc
VTEC?: no
OBD: 0
Year(s) Produced: 1988-1991
In the following car(s): Honda Civic Si/ CRX Si

yep, it's real easy and even with just that motor you'll be pulling pretty hard.

Originally posted by theB16tegguy@Jan 3 2004, 12:57 AM
yep, it's real easy and even with just that motor you'll be pulling pretty hard.

How is that motor going to make this car pull that much harder, were talking about an extra 20+ hp, correct? How much boost will that motor hold stock? What is safe? -crombie09

trust me, you'll feel it.. and boost?? depends on the turbo. I would use a T25 with a civic HF manifold. you have to make an adapter plate though.(It's pretty easy) I think they sell those too though. witht he T25 hmm 6-9 psi I would say. Thogh with good fuel management and tuning 10-12 will be good.

The ZC is a great motor to put in. It is cheap and pretty quick. You wont notice too much at lower RPM but it really pulls hard at the top of the powerband. Even though they are rated at 106 lb/ft of torque, my friend put 104 lb/ft to the wheels. That was with a home made intake and pg7 ecu. I got no idea about the boost question though

Originally posted by theB16tegguy@Jan 3 2004, 01:11 AM
trust me, you'll feel it.. and boost?? depends on the turbo. I would use a T25 with a civic HF manifold. you have to make an adapter plate though.(It's pretty easy) I think they sell those too though. witht he T25 hmm 6-9 psi I would say. Thogh with good fuel management and tuning 10-12 will be good.

Yeah my Dad owns a shop and builds racing engines all day. Hes really good at welding and I'm sure he can make an adaptor plate. Is a t25 pretty universal? I don't want to dump a lot of $ into this thing its just going to be a toy. How much does one of those go for? Also another stupid question: Fuel management? Like an ECU or what? Last, Is this a pretty common setup? Has it been proven to work? -crombie09

T25 from a DSM eclipse or Volvo. pretty cheap, look onEbay or at a DSM junkyard.
fuel management= go get an SAFC from APEXI it controls fuel curve, ignition timing and everything to keep it fro blowing up. If you just want a fast car that is reliable then don't run high boost. 6-9psi will be fine on this motor. especially if it's a toy. very common, proven=yes..

Oh ok. Cool bro thanks for your time. BTW the car is a 91 civic hatch, with a gutted interior all it has is 2 front seats, no carpet, no ac, so I think its pretty light. BTW, do you think someone would have one of these ZC engines for sale in the US? Whats shipping like on an engine from Japan? -crombie09

Originally posted by Iron 1@Jan 3 2004, 01:42 AM
How much power do you want to make???

Ummm, power? Not sure. Id like to go at least as fast as my Z28 :) I just bought this car and its integra gtr yellow with a black hood, black wheels, lowered, big loud exhaust and looks like a little race car. Everyone and their mom trys to race me in it, its crazy. I dont really try to race now since the car is almost stock, just gutted with an Si motor and want the car to be able to back what it looks like. Does that make sense? -crombie09

yea they have em in the us. hmotoronline is in cali. they charge probably 200 shipping depending on where your at . you should be pushing 200hp at 9psi

look into a panda motor. you basicaly put in pistons and rods (around $500) and it'll hold pretty good boost. good for about 300 horsepower. I think that it's such a cool idea, I'm planning on doing it on a friends car.

Back