Supercharger Or Supercharger?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Mar 29 2003, 02:31 AM
from what i hear Jackson sucks. I first found out about this after a editor of a car magazine purchased the JRSC and found out it started to leak oil. The people at Jackson Racing (its actually another company, the name Jackson Racing was bought). They refused to repair or replace the supercharger.

same thing happened to a guy on honda-tech... peep the link above y0. he had to pay out the ass just to get the faulty POS uninstalled.

I've known two owners of Jackson kits, both were dissapointed, and moved on to turbo and then were happy.

that link is ungodly old. like 1998-ish.
they have changed a lot since then.

anyway, i'm still a turbo guy.

so let me get this right....
the jackson charger is great for two mintues when you pull it out of the wrapper for the first time then,
when you got to fit the little bugger and use it, it shoots oil everwhere..
bit crap,

so you 90% of you guys think i should get a turbo? i'm no turbo man so my knowledge of turbos is small...
any info you guys could point me to...?
:rolleyes:

sisteve ran his jackson for about a year before he sold it with no problems at all. went 13.8 with it in his 00 Si.

that said, i'd still turbo my car over supercharging it.

I'd say go with the vortec intercooled kit. Mainly because I've only heard bad things about dealing with Jackson Racing. Especially since you live all the way in england, it's probably not going to be easy getting parts and help over there for it. Vortec is a huuuge company compared to JR, and they can offer better support.
*EDIT* Check this out, it might help you decide- http://crx.honda-perf.org/horror/jrsc.html
i don't want a turbo because of the sound

and you think a charger will be any quieter? my friends 96 gs-r with a JRSC winds like a.. like a... well i can't think of anything that winds and is as noisy as this. With a turbo car, it's possible to drive around not making boost, so nobody would know. Get a grill to cover your FMIC, and you'll be the ultimate sleeper.
p.s. a chambered bov doesn't hurt either.

BE AWARE, JRSC will not make as much peak power as a Vortec, but the Vortec doesn't make power straight from redline, it has to spool, just like a turbo(much much much quicker tho)

Go buy a rev hard kit and be happy. And if you want a quiet bov, go with the bov i use, tial chambered bov. Everyone thinks i've just got a big radiator up front B)

Originally posted by lsvtec+Mar 27 2003, 07:21 PM-->
viciousracing
@Mar 21 2003, 09:26 AM
Vortech is a friction supercharger, and JRSC is a non-friction, thus friction superchargers do cause more lag and detonation.....go JRSC

What the hell are you talking about? Do you even know?

:werd:
JRSC is a roots type supercharger, and the Vortech is a centrifugal (almost like a turbo, but belt driven). i've never heard of "friction" "non-friction" superchargers before. the vortech can yield a higher HP level, but i've heard of them blowing motors (literally).

Aren't turbo more hard to maintain? and need more maintenance then a supercharger?
For a turbo you need a turbo timer, and there's all the oil thing going on?

I have heard that people with turbo are really often at the garage for maintenance and all...i don't wanna spend my life at the garage have to drive my car around too.. :D

So question is:
Turbo need more maintenance, and turbo timers?
And supercharger are more, plug and play and don't care?

A supercharger does NOT put any less stress on your car than a turbo, in fact, it puts MORE stress on it. With a supercharger, it's under constant stress, from when your driving slow, or at WOT. A turbo on the other hand.. only puts stress on your motor when you want it too.

Originally posted by ovcrash@Mar 31 2003, 02:47 PM
Aren't turbo more hard to maintain? and need more maintenance then a supercharger?
For a turbo you need a turbo timer, and there's all the oil thing going on?

I have heard that people with turbo are really often at the garage for maintenance and all...i don't wanna spend my life at the garage have to drive my car around too.. :D

So question is:
Turbo need more maintenance, and turbo timers?
And supercharger are more, plug and play and don't care?

i dont see why everyone thinks a turbo motor is so hard to maintain. You DONT need a turbo timer, if you have the discipline to let your idle for 30 secs after you stop. Oil thing going on? All the oil is fed and drained to the turbo automatically.

The reasons turbos have a rep of blowing motors is cause dumbasses try and run 15 psi on a stock motor, with a fmu.

Superchargers arent necessarily plug and play, the jrsc belt has to be tightened frequently from what ive heard

I have heard you have to oil the SC daily (or close to), in order to prevent it wearing out

oil the SC, nah some companies use a little oil on the belt when they've just changed it. any other time the belt will slip.
not what you want,
anyone know if the vortech has a toothed pully kit instead of the v-pully system.....

oh and to answer the question do i like the idea of the SC making noise, the answer is yes! sounds like a kettle about to blow!

i read someone type that the vortech has a intercooler (or be it close to it) where does that sit in the engine bay?
any one know of some good sites that have the vortech charger on it? B)

Back