suspension bushings

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Heat up the metal spindles so that the rubber in contact with them gets soft. Then you can pull them out. As for getting the metal sleve out of the trailing arms, or any of the sleeves for that matter, i had to torch some of them. Use a cutting torch and an air hammer to get rid of all the rubber, then cut the sleeve CAREFULLY with the tourch. If your good you can cut a slot in the sleeve without cutting into the suspension component. Also, if you cut almost all the way down the length of the sleeve, then you have a spot to hit with the air hammer to push out the rest of the sleeve.

Good Luck
Sean

instructions with my ES ones say to keep the metal sleeve in the trailing arm

Originally posted by racintweek@Mar 23 2004, 10:41 AM
instructions with my ES ones say to keep the metal sleeve in the trailing arm

yeah, mine too. although if all you guys have tried the torch with success, that's what I'm gonna do.

Befor you go do it know that i was just saying it seemed like a good enough idea to me........i have never done this befor.

If it says leave the big trailing arm bushing sleeve in, then leave it. Ive just got the hyperflex master kit in my civic. I didnt come with trailing arm stuff. Im just offering up my experience in that most of my bushings needed to be tourched out.

Some of them were easy enough to press out, but some where impossible and it was just faster to tourch them. For anyone whos doing the master set, the front upper control arm bushings some out pretty easily with a bench vise, a hammer and a proper sized socket. I think I used 24mm but im not sure. Ive seen people say that to put in the new bushings, use a big washer and a bolt. This takes too much time. Lube up the urithane and put it in as far as you can with the bench vise. Then find a socket that is big enough to hold the suspension component and will also let the bushing pass through and push it in the rest of the way. This is only necessary for the front uca bushings and the front lca rear bushing because all the other ones are a two or three piece arrangement and can be put in by hand usually.

Remember to use alot of lube or else things will get real squeaky. I used bearing grease when I ran out of the stuff that came with the kit and it seems to be keeping things pretty quiet.

Thanks for the help, guys. I cleaned up the metal sleeves today by alternating with a knife and a propane hand torch. when I got down to a thin layer of rubber, I spent a long time with an emery rod in a cordless drill grinding the bitches down. I went through like 4 fully charged batteries on the drill, but they're super shiny now. I'm gonna try installing the bushings tomorrow.

well i can tell you this i been energy suspension bushingsusing seince 97 or 98 and never had to change them out it is when i got my first set of 18" wheel i did not know what i was getting in to so i got them to help out with the car and can i say there very good bushing... and not i about to redo the car body and motor i about to put new bushing in with all new parts :ph34r:

Back