Swap for comfy daily driver EG hatch?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

turtl631

Hi guys, I've got a quick question I'd just like to see some opinions on. I was actually on this forum years ago, as I intended to get a DC2 LS and turbo it. I ended up getting a 240SX instead and now I'm building my second one. It has become more of a track/weekend car, and I'm thinking about getting an EG hatch for driving around town, hauling my stuff, etc. I'd like it to be quiet, no droning nasty exhaust, and it has to have A/C and power steering. What would be my best option to give it a little reliable pep? I'm not looking for something crazy, but I don't want this thing to be painfully slow either. I was thinking a stock B18C, then I checked prices :eek: How about a B18B or B18A? Would that make for a decently entertaining car for not too much money, or would I be better off with a VTEC d series? I think it would be fun to have a high-revving engine, but I'm certainly not gonna spend a lot more just for that.

Cliff notes: Best swap for EG hatch to retain A/C and P/S, not be loud, and be sorta quick (nothing crazy needed/wanted, that's what my track car is for).

Thanks!
Ross

B16 is cheaper, reliable, high revs and bolts in easily.
You'll most likely need a new AC bracket to keep AC (dohc del sol p54), but you'll need that with most B series swaps into an EG.

B16 is cheaper than an LS engine? I could snag an LS setup for under $200 at the half price day at the local junkyard I think, I've tegs in there before. Aren't B16s in the $1500-$2000 range?

for what you are wanting i would say go with a b18b and maybe a b16a or b18c tranny and your set

Cool, that's what I was thinking. A little more displacement from a DOHC engine with the right gearing should be good enough, and the extra torque will be nice too, especially coming from a 2.4L nissan. I'm definitely not looking to build a high hp screamer here, just something a little more fun than a stock EG.

Back