swapping into my 1992 cx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

palmer

Well i blew the motor in my 1992 cx. i got a motor from a 1994 ex. How do i make the ex motor work in my cx. Ive never tried to "hook up" my honda. its just my daily driver and i figured that since the motor was blown, i might as well get a replacement that had a little more power. Thanks in advance for the help.

Make shure you have the EX motor mount (near timing belt). The Ex computer P28. The harness for the engine. Other stuff you should consider,

Headers, CX's have the cat./exhaust manifold, and if headers are installed, cat.will be gone.
Air intake, Cx won't fit too small
Ex or Si transmission, Will have quicker shifting. Or DX for every day street use. The cx wil choke the engine
Dxor Si exhaust system or custom. Cx is straight pipe but so small.
If your car is canadian, drop in motor and trans and plug computer. As long as the Ex motor is pretty much complete. should be no problems.

From my understanding, all 1992 model Honda Civics are pre-wired for vtec. As for the o2 sensor, you will have to convert to 4-wire by running the other three wires needed as i have a 95 and did so.

does he have to wire the o2 to the ecu??? cause i got a wiring harness with mine and just plugged up the 4 wire... everyonce in a while i get a check engine light but it goes away each time i shut it off. so i havent got a code yet...

as long as you have the harness that comes with the engine (p28) EX or SI. you don't have to add anything. It could be that he is using the stock CX harness and had to add the wires for the o2. Or he's using a VX harness, has vtec wires but might be 1 wire o2 I'm guessing, didn't get to see a VX model yet. I'm not sure if other model years after 92 didn't come with all the wires hooked up. Possible only the canadian cars were. When I first converted my 92 CX to DX I changed the harness to DX and added a 4 wire 02 and also used a DX comp. all pluged in with no problem and no check engine light. My CX has a 2000 Y8 head bolted to a 95 Z6 block. with turbo. Using a P28 comp and (P28) Ex engine harness. NO check engine light and no added wires.

u dont need to go out and spend 100 bux on a p28, when u can simply use the p05 that u have, and have it chipped for vtec. i used a p06 (dx) ecu for my b16 swap, i got the chip for 5 bux and had my buddy run the specs for vtec an all that other good shit.

Quoted post[/post]]
as long as you have the harness that comes with the engine (p28) EX or SI. you don't have to add anything. It could be that he is using the stock CX harness and had to add the wires for the o2. Or he's using a VX harness, has vtec wires but might be 1 wire o2 I'm guessing, didn't get to see a VX model yet. I'm not sure if other model years after 92 didn't come with all the wires hooked up. Possible only the canadian cars were. When I first converted my 92 CX to DX I changed the harness to DX and added a 4 wire 02 and also used a DX comp. all pluged in with no problem and no check engine light. My CX has a 2000 Y8 head bolted to a 95 Z6 block. with turbo. Using a P28 comp and (P28) Ex engine harness. NO check engine light and no added wires.
I have a 1992 VX and it had a five wire O2 on it. So I also had to rewire my O2 to a four wire but I am also still using the VX wire harness.

Back