tach goin crazy

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mr.paower

ok my tach jumps around like crazy when I drive it hard...so I changed my spark plugs and it still does that...
another thing when my tach jumps I can feel my car laggin a bit ...could it be my clutch slippin???? or worn out????
also i have a new distributor on it so i dont think it could be that...
my motor is b16 btw..

yup, mine was jumping around like a fucking pedalim and then my alternator went on teh high way and then battery.

highway+noon+south florida 98degrees= nightmare

Milan

well I dont know bout the alternator thing cause i just put new alternator and new battery in...I mean the tach jumps from 4000 rpm all the way up to 7000 rpm then i ease off the pedal and its normal again...when i drive it like a grandma and just slowly accelerate its ok, its only when i try to accelerate fast. so do u guys think it could be my clutch...

Check the 4 wires inside your distributor cap that clip to the ignitor. These commonly come loose screwing with your rpm/timing signal. I almost gaurantee that is where it is at.

Sounds alot like a clutch problem to me. It may not even need to be replaced, sometimes they get oils on them. Happened to me on my 92 hatch way back when. Its only when you slam on it hard correct? What about when its cold, is it any better?

yea it sounds like the clutch cause when the rpm jumps the engine does sound to rev up too so i think its the clutch....

Originally posted by mr.paower@Jun 30 2003, 06:54 PM
yea it sounds like the clutch cause when the rpm jumps the engine does sound to rev up too so i think its the clutch....

:werd:

I was working on a car the other day that did that same thing ... it jumps right when vtec kicks in right around 4 grand I tryed new spark plug wires and it stoped. try that

steve

the same thing happend in my b18a rex....id hit the gas a bit cruisin down the high way and BAM shovels shit in my face tach jumps up and down then the car like shuts off like it gets no spark and then kicks back up the rpms to normal and its running again....one time it jumpes a few and just shut off i got in a parking lot poped my hood pulled out a plug wire it had spark...then my car wouldnt even crank it would just click then it started....now it doesnt do it anymore so i dont know....oh also when im hot roddin at about 6000-6200 the tach just shoots to 7000 or 8000 and jumps like hes sayin...and the igniter does go out on these hondas and acuras all the time so could that be it???

Back