tach juming on teg

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ive had the code twice and both times it went off after i shut the car off. it was running fine sounded good and i jumped on it through 3rd gear to see how it pulled and now it just seems like its missing all the time but when i start driving it will be stumbling and then kinda feels like vtec kicking in (its just a ls no vtec) and it will run smooth for a few seconds and go back to running rougph again.

yeah you need to check the code when it appears. does your ecu have a red LED on it in the passenger floorboard? my 90 GS integra does and when the engine fault light would pop on i would have a friend ride shotgun or drive while one of us checked the code so we wouldnt lose it when we shut the car off. we've done the same with the 90 honda accord only i'd have someone put in a jumper wire to the ecu code connector. now i have a long wire with a toggle switch so i can activate it myself from the driver seat. all of what you say points to a distributor bearing wearing out. i'd bet on it. let me know if i am correct

ima go pull it apart maybe something came loose when i got on it cuz i just rebulit it although i did use another one that was used the code was 8 something with tdc sensor which if im not mistaken is in the dizzy sence its obd1

wait! what year make and model car you have? its the stock engine? i have ALL-DATA. dealerships use it for almost everything. i'll look up your code for 8 or whatever it was.there arent too many codes with 8 in them

if you pull it apart you only want to pull off the distributor. i hope you dont mean you rebilt it with "it" being the engine. your missfire you described is in the ignition system. a loss of spark from the dist bearing going out and wobbling. this throws off the allignment of the rotor contacting the contacts for the plug wires inside the dist. cap resuling in a spark loss and a misfire code and your loss of power

oh good haha then yeah its possible you left something loose in there. damn i've never rebuilt a distributor though. i've replaced stuff in them but rebuilding them i dont do. i guess its cause i grew up in dealerships and we just replace shit instead of fix it. in the long run though its cheaper for a customer to replace apart than to pay labor to have a shop fix a bearing or something in the part. when my accord dist went out i had codes for the tach, the ignition coil, the ICM, misfire codes. a nightmare if i didnt know any better. i hadjust replaced the ICM so i knew that wasnt it and i could hear the dist. makin a funny sound when the engine was idling. hope you just left somethin loose and you getit fixed

i just checked it and everything seems fine which means there is something else wrong not sure what tho. i whis it would just break so i could find it easyier

i'm guessin you wont need a test harness. i make mine from junkyard ecm housngs to give me a longer length to work in a more comfortable position

yes thank you. very helpfull as for my car when my friend and i was working on it i had to leave and asked him to use simple green to clean the motor up a little bit for me he did a great job. so i pulled a plug to see if it would stumble like it should and it did i also found a puddle of simple green in the spark plug hole and the wire soaked in it. so i just pulled the plugs and put some wire dryer in it disabled the ingition and cranked to blow what ever else was in there i dryed the plugs put it together and runs good now. i am gonna check the resitance though just to make sure thanks again

Back