temperature problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vanilladutch89

H22_(ivi)
i have a 93 integra gs with stock motor in it the ls and my car keeps getting real hott and the heat is not kicking in once the car hits red the heat somtimes kicks in soo i cahnged the thermostat and it seems to not get hot soo fast but am still having the issue any advice on what it is or any imput on my problem

First of all there's no need to bump your post twice in under 2 hours.. you're not going to get an instant response on a message board most of the time.

It sounds like you have air in the cooling system. Did you bleed the cooling system after replacing the thermostat? And if your temp gauge is going into the red you had better stop driving the car until you fix the problem or you're going to destroy the engine in a hurry if you didn't already.

^:werd:^ ...

my last motor did that all the time. If its starts to get hot STOP. I made the mistake of running it just a little further to a gas station when it was in the red and that motor is all sorts of fucked up.

have you ....
checked if your Radiator is clogged?

Ran the motor and see if any of your hoses are leaking (mine was)?

made sure it isnt just the cap to the radiator?

are your fans working?

I'm pretty sure it's air because he said the heater doesn't work most of the time and comes on randomly which would indicate air in the heater core. Good idea to check those other things as well though..

thanks guys much help and the bleader is the 10 mil were the hose goes from the top of the radiator to the head correct ??

That might not get all the air out though... leave your radiator cap off and run the engine until it reaches operating temperature. That should get all the air trapped in the heater core out.

alrighty thansk ... if that dont work would u suggest that i flush out the system. i was going to take the inlet hose put a garden hose in it undo the return and turn car on and let the new water circulate for about 10 mins u think that could work ?

Check the stuff that 90_EF mentioned up above next.. that should put a finger on what's causing the temperature problem.

You can flush your heater core out by doing what you mentioned, but don't run the engine while you are doing it. If your radiator isn't clogged the rest of the system is probably ok.

alrigthy i took the cap off i let the car run untill it reached middle temperature put the cap back on and took it fro a drive the heat worked good then it stopeed working and shortley after the car started to over heat but u kno usually wen a car is hot liek the dash shows the radiator will eb sizlling etc my car dont do that it gets realy hot but no signes of over heating if u look under the hood.

waste coolant

enviro man is going to speak up... i don't want to make an ass of myself by assuming, but you really should not be flushing out your system where it will drain into the sewer system... all oil-changing shops have machines for radiator flush and ways of disposing the waste coolant. i think you can even get a kit for diy but when you mentioned a garden hose to the engine a red flag went up. my sincere apology if this is not the case... either way :)

A agree with you charles I would never dispose of coolant anywhere but at a collection center. Didn't cross my mind before when I was writing about flushing.

Hopefully you didn't blow the head gasket or warp the head already.. is your coolant still full? Are the cooling fans coming on?

yes its full and no oil or anythign in it and no smoke... but onely one fan comes on i dont think its a fan issue though becouse the car will get higth temp and thats wen the heat cuts out u think if i remove the thermostat that would help and run with no thermostat if i do that willl i have heat >?

No don't remove your thermostat you need to have one in place. But make sure it's actually working and you didn't get a bad one out of the box (it happens). The temp should never get above halfway as long as everything is working properly so you need to figure out what's causing it to overheat. It could be a bad temp sending unit, but since your heater stops working too I think something is still wrong. Make sure your radiator and heater core aren't clogged.

ok thanks and were is the heater core ?? and how could i check i do notice wen i open the rad cap i do not c the water/coolant moving ya kno shouldnt i c it flowing it just sits there lol.. soo how could i c if its cloogged and if soo unclogg it ?

The heater core is behind the dash on the passenger side.. the two heater hoses that run into the firewall are the inlet/outlet for it. If you unhook those two hoses and run water through one side it should come out the other hose. If not it's clogged. Just make sure to put the hose in a container so you don't dump coolant all over the ground.

The coolant won't start flowing through the system much until the thermostat opens either.. so if you didn't get it warm enough to open the t-stat before (both radiator hoses should be hot) then you need to re-bleed the system and wait until the thermostat is open. If the temp gauge goes towards hot and the thermostat still hasn't opened I would replace it with another one and see if it works then.

alrigty alrigthy and if my ehater core is cloged.. ? do i have to replace it or can i cleen it out ? and how can i cleen my sytem if i did what i stated above with a garden hose will that work ?

Back