Test drove an STI today

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeffie7

Wrong Whole!
VIP
I'm currently looking for a house with a garage for my 350Z however, if I can't find a house with a garage I think Im going to sell the 350Z since I can't stand the thought of keeping it outside. The first car that comes to mind as a replacement is an STI since even if its covered with mud I could care less it looks great that way.

I've always heard the interior of the STI was pretty cheap. I sat in the 05 model and thought it was rather nice. It wasnt an Audi or BMW but it wasnt too far behind the feel of my 350Z. One thing that cought me off guard was the room you DIDNT have. my 350Z is IMO a good bit more roomy when it comes to arms/head room. I'm guessing the car is more narrow. Also the seats felt good but are ment for a slighty wider person, My 350Z gives more side support/leg support but the STIs would have been great if I was another 30-40lbs. Over all I think it was much better then what I was exspecting.

I asked him if they had a used one we could take out and they did. so out of the 2005 and into the 2004 I went.

the 2004 had some work done to it one thing that that stuck in my memory was the BOV. anywho first thing that happen when I sat down was I saw how crappy the interior was. 2005 STI was like a 7 out of 10 interior was the 2004 maybe a 4. 2004 DOES NOT come with a radio however there was a nice aftermarket radio installed. the center consel was really cheap feeling as with some other things. the heat/ac layout was nobs you turned and they just looked like shit.

Time to take this baby out.

the guy giving the test drive was a new 20 year old so he was like take it anywhere you want Im, new to the area so go where ever you think is fun. I made a loop that covered roads ranging from backroads I ride my bike on to RT 50 "highway"
I was trying to be nice to the sales person so I didnt take it much over 100mph however I did do a lot of WOT runs running the car up to 7+K RPM =) =) =). car feels really good it does have a lot of power across the board even down at 2500-3000rpm it felt good.

However it didnt feel any better then my 350Z it was nice being able to nail it on wet pavement and have the car take off like hell. however from a rolling start I think it would be very close to my 350Z speed wise the 350Z might even pull harder at 80+MPH but down load the STI really shines due to the AWD on wet roads.
my 350Z doesnt have any problems with grip on dry roads do to a 10.5" wide rear tires but I would never beable to drop it at 5K RPM like an STI and expect to keep my tires from spinning.

Over all, the STI is a really nice car. the 2004 felt way to cheap interior wise but the 05s fixed that problem. Also the hood scoop was kinda high and an eye sore but I'm sure you get use to it rather quick.

I might end up picking one up before the years over IF I can't find a garaged house =)

we will see..........

Back