test pipe exhaust sound

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ericL

Ok i just got a EG with a B16A and it has i/h/e. The exhaust is an apexi N1 cat back. It currently has a test pipe not a cat...the exhaust is not only loud (which is not that bad) but it's high pitched/raspy/ricer style...my question is will a test pipe kill the deeper sound like that? If so that test pipe is getting chopped up and made into flanges for a hi-flo cat :p ..

yep a test pipe will give you a more rhaspy sound

get a good high flow cat it will quiet things down a bit and take out a lot of the rhaspyness

sweet...cuz most DOHC motors that i've driven have been a lot deeper so this was a bit of a suprise..

A high flow cat will help alot, also, look into a resonator! Those help ALOT with the raspy crap.

Originally posted by E_SolSi+Aug 12 2005, 10:40 AM-->
yep a test pipe will give you a more rhaspy sound

get a good high flow cat it will quiet things down a bit and take out a lot of the rhaspyness
[post=539267]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

phyregod
@Aug 12 2005, 11:57 AM
A high flow cat will help alot, also, look into a resonator! Those help ALOT with the raspy crap.
[post=539316]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

Drop in the longest resonator you can- it'll really quiet things down.

Now with the cat, I'm looking at a carsound/magnaflo cat with no flanges. I have a buddy who welds so that's not a problem. I was going to use the flanges from the test pipe but they're rusted to shit and pretty beat up. So where can i get flanges for the cat?

Originally posted by ericL@Aug 18 2005, 09:59 AM
Now with the cat, I'm looking at a carsound/magnaflo cat with no flanges.  I have a buddy who welds so that's not a problem.  I was going to use the flanges from the test pipe but they're rusted to shit and pretty beat up.  So where can i get flanges for the cat?
[post=541777]Quoted post[/post]​

Nearest muffler shop.. Chop em off of a used cat, every muffler shop has 3 billion old mufflers and cats laying out back.. I'm sure they'd let you have em, or sell em to you for like 5 bucks or something.

bah...skrew the cat if you can get away with it.....unless you're an environmentalist. Resonators are where it's at. I've been running a test pipe on my Magnaflow for some time now and my exhaust note is deeper than most, and not obnoxious at low rpm's. But I have a nice long, polished stainless resonator.

You free up horsepower using the test pipe, and you'll get slightly better gas milage. But it's not doing anything good for the ozone.

Originally posted by adnoh@Aug 18 2005, 12:27 PM
You free up horsepower using the test pipe, and you'll get slightly better gas milage.
[post=541851]Quoted post[/post]​

:bs:

maybe vs a stock cat... but not vs a decent high flow

and the smell coming off a car without a cat is GREAT too :puke:

With my LS-T, open DP it wasn't terribly loud and really didn't stink that bad either.

I'm keeping myself from modding the Audi or I would have defenitly chopped the all of the cats out and replaced them with resonators.

i got a friend with a Apexi N1; with cat and engine is a JDM GSR but no resonator; its still raspy as hell. im running a header-back with no cat, and a magnaflow-imitation muffler(also no resonator) and its deeper than how my friend's Apexi sounds, so some of the raspiness might be coming from the actual muffler also.

:werd: it does stink, and a test pipe does kill your mileage in most cases(im around 25-30mpg on a D15B).

The smell from gutting a cat, and switching to a test pipe is different. Gutting will have a nausous smell too it, replacing with a TP will have a heavy burnt fuel smell, both aren't nice.

Kev, yea, the difference in interenal designs plays a great part in teh sound of a muffler, not just the volume. A company here named Remus makes an exhaust that can make a D series sound like a V6, had one on one of my rexs, and it was the best sounding muffler I have heard.

ive seen a few remus exhausts on VWs.... the sound is fucking sexy :wub:
if i end up getting a BMW or an Audi i will be putting a remus exhaust on it

Back