Thinking about buying a GTI...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

khrisb

Yeah. My car sux and I want to shoot it. I'm looking at 2000 GTI's. They're only about 10k or so. Like a sliver one or maybe black. Any thoughts???

Crapfully crap,
Me.

Aww, they didn't use you a "Project : Moron Shield" in the Middle East? :)

There a reason a 2004 car is 10k, I'll leave it at that.

Originally posted by khrisb@Sep 18 2004, 02:56 PM
Yeah. My car sux and I want to shoot it. I'm looking at 2000 GTI's. They're only about 10k or so. Like a sliver one or maybe black. Any thoughts???

Crapfully crap,
Me.
[post=391946]Quoted post[/post]​

For one, the volkswagen holds its value better than the honda does right now. So them being any cheaper is pretty much bullshit.

For a 2000 GTI w/ a 1.8t and 60k on it you can figure to spend 15k or so. With a vr6, you'll spend 13-15k. If you wanted something with high mileage it may be semi cheap but most likely not, because like I said they retain their value pretty well being a german built european car. ...its the poor man's audi or bmw (obviously audi is its big brother, but their build quality is fairly similiar to bmw's). Hell the 1.8t engine in the jetta and gti are the same as the 1.8t engine in the audi a4 except for the computer. Audi is just like Acura and the luxury brand, so its not much different.

Unfortunately as a lot of european cars are, its infamous for having wiring issues and when it does they're a bitch to fix.

Personally I love my friend's 2002 1.8t Jetta and I dont even particularly like sedans. Rides as smooth as a baby's bottom, is fairly fast, and a great daily driver. Downside, crappy gas mileage compared to what us honda drivers are used to and it takes premium.

Don't listen to the flaming bullshit of most other peons. If you havent found *THE* volkswagen/audi forum site.... www.vwvortex.com

Yeah, I've heard about wiring problems and a/c compressors or something like that. And it's not an 04 I'm looking at, it's an 00 model. It's not one certain car either. 10k is the average price I've found for them.

My friend Steve runs low 13's on the stock turbo. Pretty quick. He's got an 03 1.8t. Sweet looking car.

Originally posted by khrisb@Sep 18 2004, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I've heard about wiring problems and a/c compressors or something like that. And it's not an 04 I'm looking at, it's an 00 model. It's not one certain car either. 10k is the average price I've found for them.

My friend Steve runs low 13's on the stock turbo. Pretty quick. He's got an 03 1.8t. Sweet looking car.
[post=391960]Quoted post[/post]​

I believe 01 or possibly 02 marked the change from teh 160hp 1.8t to the 180hp 1.8t. The new ones are obviously faster, boosting 1 bar I believe ~14psi on premium. Another problem they have is ignition coils, thats a major recall thats been made on alot of the more recent cars and its about a 300-400 fix. Its not imperative to fix, but when its wet or shitty out, sometimes the car won't start or you'll have to give it a few mins to start. Some of the cars also had a recall on the power window kit, but those are about the two major recalls that I know on the recent models.

I like them, they hold their value well...but ppl here flame everything if its not a bmv or vette or turbo'd gsr

I would head over to vwvortex.com and ask your same question to the VW/Audi guru's

my friend has a gti, and its pretty sweet. he has a diverter vavle and a intake.... it sounds sooooooooo awesome.

I personally think they are great cars especially if you want to mod it. My buddies got a 2001 GTI 1.8 and he had it APR chipped running 20 psi. Hes also got Neuspeed catback, FK coilovers, and a blow off valve. Thing hauls balls, and blows the doors off my GSR. Other than that the car itself is very nice inside and out and hes never had any problems with it which is amanzing since he always has the chip on.

Originally posted by Havok@Sep 18 2004, 03:27 PM

[post=391953]Quoted post[/post]​

Nobody else caught this? he said he's looking at a 2000. not an 04.

Originally posted by revolution8k+Sep 19 2004, 05:51 PM-->
@Sep 18 2004, 03:27 PM

[post=391953]Quoted post[/post]​

Nobody else caught this? he said he's looking at a 2000. not an 04.
[post=392274]Quoted post[/post]​

I got it, but the original poster already pointed out to the incorrect peon that he was looking at an 00. If i were the poster, I would get an 02 plus because thats the revamped engine w/ 180hp and 173tq throughout 80% of the curve. And i just checked, for a stock 02 with like 20000 miles you can get it for around 13,500.

i like the 2000ish gti's, atleast on the inside. i just dont like the boring looks. the dash is kinda plain and boring but i love the shifter and the seats...

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 20 2004, 11:30 AM
yeah,k cuz 32 grand is close to 10 grand.

:moron:
[post=392502]Quoted post[/post]​

OWNED!!!!!!!!!!!1!1!!!

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 20 2004, 11:30 AM
yeah,k cuz 32 grand is close to 10 grand.

:moron:
[post=392502]Quoted post[/post]​

!!!

On top of that, I think I would just go with a wrx for that price...actually cheaper for a regular wrx. or since we're talking 32 grand here, why not just spring for a little more and get a evo8 or sti................

wishful thinking.

Back