thoughts on this camber kit

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

so just get the car aligned right away or do that in addition to a camber kit?

IMO you'd be fine with just an alignment, but if you are planning on getting the kit, wait till then and have them align that too.

Toe alone accelerates wear on the tires, especially toe out. But toe, combined with unreasonable negative camber, causes accelerated uneven wear on the tires. Camber alone causes uneven wear, especially on your drive tires if you have an especially heavy foot (because the tire sits with an uneven load).

If you can possibly argue to me how toe alone could possibly cause uneven wear, I'd be all ears :)

toe-

\ /

if your tires are sitting liek that, what hits? the bottom most inner part gets dragged instead of rolling forward.

Originally posted by liquid00meth@May 23 2004, 08:53 PM
Camber alone causes uneven wear, especially on your drive tires if you have an especially heavy foot (because the tire sits with an uneven load).

If you can possibly argue to me how toe alone could possibly cause uneven wear, I'd be all ears :)

I guess you missed the photographic subjects above.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 23 2004, 03:36 PM
toe-

\ /

if your tires are sitting liek that, what hits? the bottom most inner part gets dragged instead of rolling forward.

yeah I suppose if the tire dragged itself to the point of inducing camber on the tire. Otherwise, the toe is a different axis than the camber. The tire should still sit flat. I guess if it were exaggerated enough you could counteract the effect by having camber on the wheels, so when the cars moving the induced camber and purposely offset camber cancel out.

Originally posted by liquid00meth+May 23 2004, 05:53 PM-->
pissedoffsol
@May 23 2004, 03:36 PM
toe-

\ /

yeah I suppose if the tire dragged itself to the point of inducing camber on the tire. Otherwise, the toe is a different axis than the camber. The tire should still sit flat. I guess if it were exaggerated enough you could counteract the effect by having camber on the wheels, so when the cars moving the induced camber and purposely offset camber cancel out.

Your theory sounds good, but i doubt if it would be quite that simple.

Newton's third law

" For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"

These actions are forces, so you can remember this law as being every force has an equal and opposite force. Remember that these are two seperate forces, wich act upon two seperate objects, and so they do not cancel each other out.

Thanks I'm an engineering major, I remember Newton's third law.

By cancel out I meant the camber adjustments caused by each effect would offset each other.

the two forces are not a third law force pair :)

using a camber kit will actually get you more traction, because its allowing more of the tire to come into contact with the road surface, insted of just the inside edge, so running a camber kid reduces wear from spinning, because ull spin less, and the tire will wear evenly. so its like a win win situation. dont get the progress kit they suck, i made the mistake, they only offer 2 levels of adjustabilty, and the biggest adjustment wasnt enough for my car lowered 2 inches. im getting an ingalls kit.
and uh all of this newton's 3rd law means about nothing to me.... my friend lowered his car, had it aligned, and the tires wore like hell like the pics above, because the camber isnt really adjustable on hondas. He got a camber kit, had it aligned, and no more uneven tire wear. so camber kits do work...

The Progress kit is great if you don't care about adjustability- it's a great kit for a car that's lowered up to 2 inches. They're tough as hell, and they're cheap too. Most other kits in that price range are total crap and break.

If you want the adjustability, shell out for Skunk2, SPC or Ingalls- if you want a good cheap kit that works well, the Progress kit is a very good choice.

Originally posted by liquid00meth+May 23 2004, 06:53 PM-->
pissedoffsol
@May 23 2004, 03:36 PM
toe-

\ /

YOU'RE right to some extent...

but see... the toe will make the isnde drag first... and due to the air in the tire making it flexible, 90% of the stress from bad toe is placed on the very "front" of the tire...

-> / being the front inside im talking about

Back