Ticking question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RoughKnight

Christmas Car
I've noticed now that (finally) I've cleared all the cels on my car, my engine block ticks a bit and it gets higher and lower dependant on rpm. I talked to my mechanic and he said it was that I was low on oil, which I wasn't. Then he said it was the valves. Since i'm planning to do a cam/valve/spring upgrade in the near future, will they last for a couple months or so? Could this ticking be the pistons in some shape or form? Also lastly, could it be a timing issue (too rich)? I'll post a video later on today and hopefully clear it up; I dunno how well my iPhone can video and sound record, but it's the best I got. Speculation is encouraged.

Have you checked the valve lash? Best way to tell where the ticking is coming from is get a long screw driver put the business end on the block, (youll be able to see where the cylinders are) put your ear on the handle and plug your other ear, go across the block and listen for any difference in noise. Then move to the VC and do the same. Your going to hear ticking regardless, but say if cylinders 1-3 all sound the same and 4 is louder it could be crank/rod bearings.

Wow, smart idea. I'm gonna try that when I get home from class. Also, its probably a belt, but aside from the ticking i'm getting a winding noise from the drivers side of the car, so i'm guessing power steering? I'll get that video soon enough if my teacher ever stops talking fml

There...
Don't comment on the rust or w/e, the car was made on a budget and it is my first project.

Here is my video, lets hope it helps people!
YouTube - D15B problem

Hmm. :hmm: Sounds kinda loud to be valves, might be a rod knock. Where did you get the swap from? And yes that is a big fucking tach. :D

Bought it used off some guy an hour away. After we threw it in, I was borderline gonna torch his house as his words "it was driven like a grandma" and what I actually installed were two different things. Rod knock? How can you be sure/check? Buying a new cam could be the solution? Because they don't make aftermarket rods for this engine, i'll have to fab up some custom b16 ones and that already is money I don't wanna spend...

The dude who sold me the motor had a lsvtec hatch pushing 390hp@18psi. Maybe i'll take it for a joyride? :D

The screwdriver trick, if it is a rod knock, youll know, one cylinder will sound like a diesel truck through the screwdriver.

damnit it's raining....
i'll check it tomorrow

idea: If I put a quart of Lucas valve noise (or whatever its' called) and that lowers the noise, does that mean anything at all?

Alright I did it
It doesn't sound loud comming from cyl 4...but the closer I get to cyl 1 the louder it gets from the screwdriver...

It doesn't sound like a tractor, or maybe I dunno what a diesel sounds like... :'(

If I throw the valve stop lub oil in the engine and it quiets the noice, does that have a biased effect on the rod knock as well? I.e. Will it also stop the rod knock thus cancelling it out as a valid identifier?

Okay...I drove the car today and from the drivers seat its not that loud, after a long drive (i.e. to work) right before I turn off the car, while it's just sitting their its more apparent of a ticking sound...

But today, before I left from work, I was driving a friend to his car in the parking lot and he asked me wtf I did to my car. I said nothing major, and he asked me what all the 'clicking' was. Sure enough, I bolted out of the car and fuck wouldn't u know it, from outside, with the hood ON, it sounds like a tractor. Kind of like the TDI vw's. My question is...Should I invest in a second motor? Or can I just change the valves and be done with this.

P.S. I noticed that from the drivers seat, its apparent as I go through the gear, but when I hit vtec you can DEFINITALLY hear the ticking. I think it's rpm dependant, but I'm just trying to be hopeful here. If people want to help, I can post another video if we can't speculate from what i have written.

Thanks guys!

Sounds like the valves pinging... if the timing is correct, and u have sufficient oil in the car, then just try running a full tank of super (92-93 octane) fuel and some injector treatment. If the problem persists, than more than likely it is the valve lash. Doesn't sound like a rod knock or piston pin knock to me. To be perfectly honest with you, most sohc's make that noise anyway lol... its like a honda thing... Happens with old age I guess...

def. not a rod knock..
try to run the valves..get em within spec. and see if that fixes it..i know my LS sounded like that until i did the valves..lol and i like the comment "yea its a big fuckin tach"
how do you like that tach? i almost bought one for my racecar

It's fucking garbage...the needle is digusting. It's nice to look at, and when I get around to get the gauges working it might look cooler, but that big needle is soooooooooooo loose "it hangs like sleeve of wizard."

So today if I can make it i'm gonna use the stop valve tick stuff from lucas, If i see a difference I will then order the damn cam and springs/retainers then search for a fking walkthrough on here.

Ultimate way to distinguish a knock from a tick is to check the oil pan for shavings, there's no way in hell loose valve lash would produce metal shavings in the pan. You're looking for bronze colored shavings. Check that.

Alright. Next question. A mechanic friend of mine told me to turn the dizzy a mm or two TOWARDS the engine bay and said that might fix all my problems.

Another question, can anybody link me to a write-up or a quick walkthrough of checking the valve lash?

Back