Tire recommendations?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tdg

I just bought this car and the tires on there are pretty damn bare and they are shit, so I need to be looking for some new ones real soon.
I really don't know shit about tires...so if anyone can recommend me some good ones that'd be good. I had some nice Kumho Ecstas on my Si, and as a matter of fact, there is one of those on my GS-R. But the other three are shit.
Thanks

Sorry, I left out the most important part haha

Daily driver. No racing.
Obviously I will often drive fast though, but no dragging, no going to the track, just the daily driver; but I will do just the usual speeding / maneuvering nothing out of the ordinary.
I live in the Seattle area where it rains quite frequently.
I want these tires to last a while as well.

HELL YES :withstupid:

i had those on my mazda and they were by far the best year round daily driver tires i have ever owned

in the rain i was able to go about as fast as visibility allowed
in the dry they had good hookup and more than decent cornering
in the snow i was able to go through 10+ inches without major issues (got through more stuff than my friends truck that had studded snows on it)

if they came in a size that fit the insight i would have them on there right now

by far one of my favorite tires so far

oh yeah and i got about 45k out of them before i sold the car to my uncle who i believe is still running them

rad I'll check them out. Wonder how much they are....
I'm basically out of money right now becaues I just bought the car. And i gotta pay shit off so I'm pretty much out of money for the year.
Ahhh. Maybe i can get something going...we'll see. But that's a priority for sure.
I mean the tires don't even match right now, wtf.

I am currently running Kumho ASX's on my Integra and I love them to death. Not the grippiest tire in the dry, but definitely sticky as shit in the rain (big plus in the seattle area). Plus they are Z rated, and leaps and bounds cheaper than the Dunlops. While I do understand the Dunlop is a better tire, so no need to flame me on the Kumho's, you can't deny the fact that in a 205/50R15 tire, the Kumho is $40 cheaper per tire (according to TireRack.com) and this man said he was on a budget.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 9 2005, 10:15 PM
dunlop sp5000's.
[post=497072]Quoted post[/post]​

Nice tires, but at $500ish a set (depending on size) for everyday use, they might be high.

What size are you looking for? There's a huge price gap between 15" and 16". I love the BFGoodrich G-Forces I have, and my last set of Goodyear Eagle F-1s help up nice, and lasted a long time.

Originally posted by wanderinman@May 10 2005, 06:40 AM
I am currently running Kumho ASX's on my Integra and I love them to death. Not the grippiest tire in the dry, but definitely sticky as shit in the rain (big plus in the seattle area). Plus they are Z rated, and leaps and bounds cheaper than the Dunlops. While I do understand the Dunlop is a better tire, so no need to flame me on the Kumho's, you can't deny the fact that in a 205/50R15 tire, the Kumho is $40 cheaper per tire (according to TireRack.com) and this man said he was on a budget.
[post=497307]Quoted post[/post]​

the ASXs are a great tire
my friend has them on his golf and he absolutly loves them
i have not personally owned a set so i cant say how they compare to the dunlops
but the ASXs are a good choice

and Kumho has been putting out some very good tires lately
people still think of them as only having the 711 and 712... yeah those were sorry excuses for performance tires... but their newer lines (MX,ASX, KH11) are actually very good tires for a more than fair price

not sure what size he is looking for but trerack has both of them
SP5000 195/50/15 - $69
ASX 195/55/15 - $67
ASX 205/50/15 - $65

Originally posted by tdg@May 9 2005, 02:08 PM
Sorry, I left out the most important part haha

Daily driver. No racing.
Obviously I will often drive fast though, but no dragging, no going to the track, just the daily driver; but I will do just the usual speeding / maneuvering nothing out of the ordinary.
I live in the Seattle area where it rains quite frequently.
I want these tires to last a while as well.
[post=497068]Quoted post[/post]​

Falken Ziex hands down they are a great all weather tire. FUCK KUMHO's I think they suck ass. I had those before and now I went to the Yokohama Parada Spec 2's and they ROCK.

Well, I just have the stock GS-R wheels, what are those, 16"?
Kumho ASX is sounding good to me...mostly because they are cheaper than the Dunlop SP5000s and it was mentioned they grip well in the rain.
I'll check them out.

The question now is what size do I get? It's just a stock GS-R. Sorry I don't want to walk the stairs right now to go look what is on there... again I am not a tire expert. But what do people usually do on GS-R's....205's? 195's??

Thanks for all the replies

I'd go with 205/50's, little wider tire, and they only throw your speedo off by a percent and a half.

And to those who say Kumho's suck, man, what is the deal... I've had the 711, the 712, and now the ASX's, and I've loved every one for the price. You definitely can't expect $150 performance out of $50 tires, which is what I'm assuming y'all do.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 10 2005, 09:24 AM
spec2's suck... lol
[post=497387]Quoted post[/post]​

They are 50000 times better than the fucking Kumho's.
FUCK KUMHOS. My friend blew a tire the other day and he said he was going to get Kumhos cuz they had a good deal on them I told him I wouldn't pay $5 for those shtty ass tires.

Dude, you keep saying fuck kumho's, but you have yet to present even one reason why you dont like them? I mean, this dude wants to know everyones oppinions and reviews on certain tires, without reasons your not doing anyone any favors... shit, did Kumho's molest you as a child or something?

TDG - from everything I've heard you say... price, performance, type of driving... there is absolutely nothing wrong with running a Kumho ASX, yea there are other tires, but you'll pay more for gains your not looking for.

Can you say wheel hop and no traction. Nuff said. They just do not grip and it's not like I have a fast car by any means. Those are the reason why I do not like them. I will go into more detail if you want just let me know.

Thanks for the help everyone, as soon as I get some cash together I shall go check some out. Kumho ASX sounding like the way to go so far.. 195/55/15 or 205/50/15? Ok so the 195 are stock...will I notice a real difference going for the wider 205? How will it affect the driving...

Back