Today's employment related lesson.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

As many of you know, I'm moving to Oregon on September 1st. Two weeks from yesterday was going to be my last day, so I decided to give my two weeks notice because I respect my employer and coworkers.

They shitcan me on the spot. Instead of saying, sure, we'll keep you on... BAM, I'm out on my ass. However, we left on good terms and they say they'll give me a good job recommendation. I'm not sure I can trust them, so I'm going to get that recommendation in writing.

Am I pissed? Not really; I was planning on leaving anyway. More like agitated about the principal. The upside is that I don't have to wake up at 6AM, drive an hour each way, sweat my ass off in 60% polyester clothes that don't breath worth a shit, get paid flat rate, and that I'll be able to enjoy a two week paid vacation thanks to unemployment.

Two week house party at casa del Honkey.

Anyway, lesson learned- don't ever give notice that you're leaving.

that sucks man...oh well. it gives you more time to pack your stuff and party down like a mofo until u move. if you in the mid-west, you should come to Indy Truck Bash this weekend.

I'm not sure if that's even legal for them to do.

put it this way if your company was going to be laying you off, if you worked for them 5 yrs or longer they have to give you a 2 months notice. but at least you'll be getting unemployment.

Why you movin so far away ??

legal? unless you have a contract with a company, they can fire you or lay you off on the spot at any time for any reason, unless if you're black, or from porter rico :ph34r:

Actually it depends on the laws where you work. In Colorado, I could be canned for no reason and with no notice. Here in New Mexico they have to provide a reason and notice.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 15 2003, 10:50 AM
unless if you're black, or from porter rico :ph34r:

Good God Brian.... Are you drunk???? :lol:
That sux man.... my g/f just got shitcanned for being late one day. She's 8 months pregnant and I think they didn't want to pay her maternity leave. Drink some for me and have fun in oregon...

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 15 2003, 10:50 AM
legal? unless you have a contract with a company, they can fire you or lay you off on the spot at any time for any reason, unless if you're black, or from porter rico :ph34r:

Porter Rico....is that next to the Kay-man Ilands?

that sucks man, I hear your pain. I have been looking for work for just about 3 months now. Finally I had a great interview today and I hope I get the position as a financial analyst.

Let us know how oregon is, I was thinking about that area not too long ago.

Milan

It's perfectly legal. If you're in any position of responsibility and you give notice that you're going to leave, then kick you out immediately. That's just good corporate policy. Since you don't intend to work there anymore, why would they allow you two more weeks to possibly steal company stuff, screw things up internally, and maybe just sit on your ass and do nothing around the office? That's how the corporate world works- it's better to send someone home the day they give notice and just pay them for two weeks than to have them in the office where they could do considerable damage to the company.

Trust me- I was in management- that's how the game is played. It's nothing personal- it's just safer that way. That's why they'll still give you a good recommendation, and why you were able to part on good terms with your co-workers. You're still technically employed by the company until your two weeks is up (or for however long the termination notice period is), but you just can't go back to work. Enjoy the two weeks of free pay.

:)

Originally posted by Calesta@Aug 15 2003, 12:18 PM
It's perfectly legal. If you're in any position of responsibility and you give notice that you're going to leave, then kick you out immediately. That's just good corporate policy. Since you don't intend to work there anymore, why would they allow you two more weeks to possibly steal company stuff, screw things up internally, and maybe just sit on your ass and do nothing around the office? That's how the corporate world works- it's better to send someone home the day they give notice and just pay them for two weeks than to have them in the office where they could do considerable damage to the company.

Trust me- I was in management- that's how the game is played. It's nothing personal- it's just safer that way. That's why they'll still give you a good recommendation, and why you were able to part on good terms with your co-workers. You're still technically employed by the company until your two weeks is up (or for however long the termination notice period is), but you just can't go back to work. Enjoy the two weeks of free pay.

:)

sorry but i have to disagree. that is what they do when they FIRE you. usually when you are leaving, they ask you if you can stay longer.

Originally posted by rixXxceboy@Aug 15 2003, 02:24 PM
sorry but i have to disagree. that is what they do when they FIRE you. usually when you are leaving, they ask you if you can stay longer.

It goes both ways... the more access you have to material inside the company, the more likely they are the kick you out the moment you say you're leaving. Each situation is different though- I have seen it when they ask you to stay until the day you go.

In Vermont, if you have been working for 90 days or longer (might actually be 60, I get it confused with NY and GA, not positive, but its 90 or 60), your employer can NOT fire you without reason. I say without reason because i do not remember the legal term they use, but there is basically only so many things you can fire a person for. When i wanted someone gone i just made them quit, and if they wouldnt quit, i would set uncredibly high sales goals for them and if the didnt hit their goal 3 days in a row, they were gone. We had an employee contract that said 2 weeks notice must be given, but bottom line is, the employees just dont give a shit those last 2 weeks. They dont perform for shit, some even steal, they show up late, leave early, dress like shit, ect. Whenever someone gave me 2 weeks notice as required, i would say, "come on, you really dont wanna work those 2 weeks, dont worry about it, i will forget about the employee agreement on this one." and if they were like no, i really need the money, then i would say, "well you shouldnt have quit. get lost i dont have any work for your position for the next 3 weeks."

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Aug 15 2003, 03:33 PM
up here they have to pay two weeks and have three written incedents or you can sue there pants off

you obviously havent seen his boss. i think ji would prefer if he kept his pants on :lol:

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Aug 15 2003, 07:55 AM
As many of you know, I'm moving to Oregon on September 1st. Two weeks from yesterday was going to be my last day, so I decided to give my two weeks notice because I respect my employer and coworkers.

They shitcan me on the spot. Instead of saying, sure, we'll keep you on... BAM, I'm out on my ass. However, we left on good terms and they say they'll give me a good job recommendation. I'm not sure I can trust them, so I'm going to get that recommendation in writing.

Am I pissed? Not really; I was planning on leaving anyway. More like agitated about the principal. The upside is that I don't have to wake up at 6AM, drive an hour each way, sweat my ass off in 60% polyester clothes that don't breath worth a shit, get paid flat rate, and that I'll be able to enjoy a two week paid vacation thanks to unemployment.

Two week house party at casa del Honkey.

Anyway, lesson learned- don't ever give notice that you're leaving.

you may have a case....

employment in California where i live is "at will"

Unless fired for "whistle blowing" or other similar situation, most employers can fire your ass on the spot for no good reason at all.

I'm not too concerned about suing or some shit. If I had a beef with them, I'd go buy a $50 car and play demolition derby at 2AM in the lot.

I don't need the money, persay. I have almost $4000 saved up for the move, and it's only going to cost around a grand for the trailer, gas, tow hitch, lodging, and food for the actual trip out there. I have three interviews set up for the week after I get out there, and a place to live already.

It's just the principal- I respect them enough to give them notice that I'm leaving so they can find someone to fill my spot, and they fire me right then and there.

where abouts in Oregon are you moving to ? I'm in southern oregon.

Just curious, there's not too many from oregon on here.

Back