"troubleshooting" before i drive.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRXSI91

i bought a 93 hatch for 1500 bucks...had an ls swap with a 20g mitsubishi turbo on it..manifold looks to be in good condition...all oil lines were ran and capped..everything looks good...only problem is..the guy that had it before me had some ghetto fabbed intercooler piping,and his intercooler looks like a sidemount off a old ass car...(one of the short stocky ones)..now i talked to my friend at the shop..and he said hes gonna go thru all the wiring,and finish everything up..and he said until i get some type of Fuel/engine management,that 4 or 5lbs of boost would be fine...but i have some questions :

1. the intercooler piping came with no type of relief/blow off valve to let out the excess boost...now ive heard that running a turbo car with no blow off is not reccommended...is this true? and what can i do in the mean time instead of buying a expensive BOV?

2. With no fuel or engine management (YET)...what am i looking at as far as driveability...and am gonna be in a "you cant drive it yet until u get some type of management"..or am i looking at "you will be alright as long as you keep the boost low" type of statement

keep in mind,i am no turbo guru...i know how they work,and a general knowledge of what is needed..but i just got this car..and its itching the hell out of me to drive it (i wanna see what i paid 1500 dollars for,wouldnt you??)...plus its my first boosted car...i mean i wanna do it right the first time,but i also want to drive it...anyone got any advice?

there is no BOV or relief valve at all??
check closer to the compressor housing as well as the rest of the charge tubes...
some turbos have a relief valve built into the compressor side of the housing, but i don't think mitsubishi is one of em, but it might be a diffrent turbo...

it has no fuel managment AT ALL?
like not even an FMU? upgraded injectors? high pressure fuel pump?
nothing?

if it has nothing i would advise to not drive it...
very good chance of blowing it up with no managment...
is the return line clamped or anything? any sign that the motor is getting more than stock fuel levels?

driving with no BOV could be a problem, i would say avoid driving it, and if you must then be careful not to just let off the throttle... letting off the throttle closes the throttle body plate and then the air is still pressurized and gets backed up all the way to the compressor wheel and thats where you can damage your turbo...

if you don't want an expensive BOV just get one off a dsm...
sounds fishy to me that it has NO fuel mamagment... it must have an FMU, high pressure fuel pump, larger injectros... something... or else i don;t see the motor getting enough fuel for any amount of boost...
even if the return line were clamped the stock fuel pump will not generate an incredible amount of fuel pressure...

be careful man..
how long did the guy drive it around liek this?
do you know what an FMU looks like?

he never drove the car with the turbo up there..he put the manifold on along with the turbo,ran the piping,but couldnt get it to run,cus he missed some wiring..so what he did,was put the 4-2-1 header back on,and drove it normally,and sold it to me...the car has never been ran with a turbo on it.

so you have it with the header? or the turbo?

i would not drive it with the turbo AT ALL, until you are sure it won't grenade on you...

i can drive it one of two ways :

slap the turbo w/manifold up there.

slap the 4-2-1 header up there.

if it has no fuel management, DO NOT BOOST it. you can pop a motor at 1 psi. starve it for fuel, lean out, booom... done.

you CAN drive it. but do NOT floor it, do NOT spool the turbo, and do not go over 3000 rpms at part throttle. this may be tough going up hills- as the car is going to want to try to boost on you, even at part throttle.

my suggestions, WAIT.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 9 2005, 04:31 PM
if it has no fuel management, DO NOT BOOST it. you can pop a motor at 1 psi. starve it for fuel, lean out, booom... done.

you CAN drive it. but do NOT floor it, do NOT spool the turbo, and do not go over 3000 rpms at part throttle. this may be tough going up hills- as the car is going to want to try to boost on you, even at part throttle.

my suggestions, WAIT.
[post=485172]Quoted post[/post]​

ok,well as far as fuel management goes..i know what i need to get..but as far as engine management..im aiming for about 250 to the wheels..so do i need to go "all out" and get hondata..or can i just use uberdata..or get someone to chip my ecu with a turbo basemap..cus i think hondata is over kill for what im trying to do..

ok...i figured out what i am going to do..cus i want to run this car really bad...

1.im gonna hook back up all the "Ghetto fabbed" intercooler and intake piping,clamp it,hose it,and tighten up every piece for the time being till i get some good piping

2. gonna run the small ass stock Gst looking intercooler for the time being until i get something more suitable for what i am trying to do

ok now these are the things i want and NEED....b,if you can help me,and let me know what i absolutely need to drive the car..and let me know some stuff that i dont necessarily need :

1.550cc injectors (need)
2.walbro 255 fuel pump (need)
3. aem fuel rail (???)
4. Blow off/relief valve (need)
5. Boost gauge (???)
6. Boost controller (???)
7. Turbo timer (???)

im just tryna get my turbo setup running for right now,boost a small 6 or 7 lbs,and work from there..of course im gonna upgrade,and go all out,but i really wanna drive this car...so if anyone can help me narrow things down,it would be very appreciated..by the way...the turbo is a 20g turbo off an eclipse i guess? and the manifold is a small log style manifold...oil lines are already ran,and capped..so right now,all i need is fuel management..so let me know what else i need...thanks.

you need fuel delivery and control of it. thats it.

injectors and the walbro pump for delivery.
a TUNED uberdata chip.

you don't need anything else to drive it.

do you know anyway i can get my p75 chipped for/by uberdata,and where,and how long it will take?? cus im trying to do this asap...i just looked at my piping,and there is a bypass valve on there,it looks like everything for this setup came off a gst or gsx...

Back