turbo bottom end

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ignorant import guy

alright so i have my y8 turboed with and internally wastegated t25 and was looking to buy a boost controller to boost up around 12psi (right now at about 8)...now i found a set of eagle forged rods with je low comp pistons with rings for $700 (didn't buy it yet) i talked to a guy who know imports inside and out as well as builds stock car engines for my cousins...i wanted this guy to notch my block for clearance for the rods and he told me that the whole thing was a waste of money and to not do it...is this true at all...i knew that this isn't an all to uncommon process

Yes, it's necessary unless you have the new Eagles that clear the bottom of the sleeve. It's still pretty easy to notch the block though.

As for the pistons and rods being necessary or not- they really do help. The stock hardware has been taken to about 250whp, but it gets touchy around there. Stock sleeve D blocks with just piston/rod upgrades have made well over 350whp reliably with good tunes.

see that's what i thought..now is it worth like $700 for parts and around $200 or $300 extra for labor...i just don't trust myself enough to tear down a block and start grinding into it...i actually think that's a steal

If you don't trust yourself to do it, make sure you do choose someone you CAN trust. $200-300 isn't too bad, but make sure you can get complete engine assembly in there with it.

are they used? do they come with rings? how much and if you tell me to name a price i'll probably low ball you so you'd be better off just telling me

Not to bust your bubble but if you are running a T25 all its going to do at 12 psi is move hot air and make noise. You will need to upsize the turbo. With careful tuning I have been running 10 psi from a T3 T4 57 trim for over a year with a stock long block.

well eventually that's what i planned on doing...right now i have an off brand t25 and i don't trust for more than a few months so i will be going with a garret t3...but wouldn't it still help to push more boost even with the t25

used eagle rods that are in mint sahpe and cheacked by a machine shop and all cleared. pistons are new in box and come with rings and also have main bearigs. $375

Back