Turbo Miss

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rudy543us

Hello,

My car has a Hondata S200.
It ran fine before it was left to sit.

So here is my current status,
The car sat for about two years and did not run when I got it.
I clean the 440LB injectors.
Replaced (RP) the Timing and balancer belts
RP the water pump
RP the aftermarket AEM fuel filter ( covered in crude)
RP the fuel pump
RP spark plugs.

Parked at idle I have about 40 LB of Fuel pressure when I rev it rises to 60LB.
The car idles well and as long as I do not pass 5LB boost it is fine. Once I pass that it acts as if it is holding itself back.
The Air fuel meter (AFM) goes lean.

I noticed that my brake pedal slowly drops to the floor and if I am at ideal and stop the brake it affects the AFM's readings moderately.
So could my issue be a vacuum leak?
Please let me know what else you need to help me trouble shoot my car.
I have been trying to get the data record to work with my laptop but the Serial to USB interface is not playing well now.
I am sure that type of data would make this all much easier.

Welcome to the board. I won't have any help to contribute, but good luck getting her fixed.

I have a two setting boost control 10 and 14 PSI; I changed out the vacuum lines.
Both lines were very brittle and the one going to the waste gate valve was badly kinked and very brittle.

There was a significant improvement, I can get 8 LB of boost now but it still bogs down and goes lean above that. My brake pedal does not sink anymore; I will check the rest of my vacuum lines.

Can you service or test an aftermarket AEM fuel pressure regulator or should I replace it?
How much fuel pressure should I have?
It has 440LB injectors, and a walbro fuel pump.

It might just need a re-tune.. its hard to say but wouldn't be a bad place to start if you know how to tune or know someone that does.

I need to read up on fuel pressure regulators, I wonder if the spring can weaken with age or just stop functioning correctly. Does anyone have some advice on this?
Maybe I just need more fuel; I may try dialing the fuel pressure regulator up a little bit.

Matt96HB thank you for your help.

No problem. Was the car left to sit with gas in the tank? If so did you completely drain the tank and refill with fresh gas?

Id start pulling components out of the fuel system to clean them. Start at the front and work your way towards the tank.

Matt96HB,

Yes it sat for two years; I have changed or cleaned every fuel component minus the fuel pressure regulator. I have also found vacuum leaks galore, so it is all a work in progress.
So can you help me understand the AEM fuel pressure diaphragms, they are tiered by color and number. .100 .150 and .200 is this measured in gallons per minute (GPM)?

Your help is appreciated

Those are measured in inches. They are just the different sizes of the openings on the orfices. I'd try the next size up and be sure the regulator is clean.

I'd also have the tune checked out ASAP. Do you have a wideband o2 sensor hooked up to the car?

Matts96HB,

Yes I have a wideband, when I head past 5LB it starts going lean and at about 8LB I am off the gauge. I have a feeling when I clean and readjust the fuel pressure regulator this will all clear up. Do you have any other ideas.

Thank you

I dont think its the regulator, you said it yourself that its making 40lb at idle. How are you so sure the car ran right before it sat? How was it tuned originally? Unless it was on a dyno by a competent tuner then its pretty suspect. If you pay a tuner to hook up to your s200 i bet he could tell you whats wrong and how to fix it.

I bought it from my friend; the car was built in Italy. The only reason it sat was it needed a timing belt (The Belt had some nicks).
My friend did not want to drive the car until it was change, so it sat and sat and sat.
The car ran fine before then, I feel certain it is a matter of getting all the components up to snuff.

I will take it to a tuner for fine tuning, half the fun of owning this type of car is figuring it out.
I have the ability to connect to the S200 and read the data, one small issue I can’t get the serial to USB to work right, If anyone has some advice on this please chime in.
Again I appreciate everyone’s input and hope for more.
Thank you

Flounder,

For a stock Honda 40 LB is par for the course, but what should it be if you have a heavily modified engine, with 440 injectors and a turbo? I would think it should be more than that, please give me a starting point, what is everyone else running for a similar setup?

My car has a sleeved and fully built b20vtec, turbocharged, with 750cc injectors, and a walbro 255 pump, and my fuel pressure is about 45psi. I have a tuner that has worked with me throughout the build and the car has been tuned both on a dyno and on the street to get the driveability and idle just about perfect. You already have the s200, so figuring out whats wrong and how to fix it should be easy for a qualified tuner. It might be worth spending the money to make sure everything is just right.

Flounder,

So I took a closer look at my fuel pressure it was at 36 LB, I turned it up to 43 and now I can get 8 LB of boost no problem. I will tinker with it tonight, I have a feeling this was the last piece in the puzzle.
How much boost are you running or is it naturally aspirated.

I am at 8lbs in first gear, 9lbs in second, and 11 in 3rd gear and up. It is set up like this because with my particular setup this is pressing the limits of traction with 205/50/15 drag radials on the street.

Hopefully the fuel pressure was the problem! Good luck!

So I can get to 10LB of boost now but when I press the gas pedal past half it bogs down and my Air flow meter (AFM) goes lean. I am at 45LB of fuel pressure should I go higher and how high, what is the average limit.
Below is a basic spec sheet for my car:
My car has a Hondata S200.
It ran fine before it was left to sit.

So here is my current status,
The car sat for about two years and did not run when I got it.
I clean the 440LB injectors.
Replaced (RP) the Timing and balancer belts
RP the water pump
RP the aftermarket AEM fuel filter ( covered in crude)
RP the fuel pump
RP spark plugs.

Matts96HB,

If it was tuned prior and running like a top and none of the parts were changed as far as Specs go, why would it need to be retuned?
Matt I am not trying to be difficult but it seems I need to exhaust every avenue first.

That being said can boost controllers go bad if so how can I test for this?
My unit is a basic turbonetics set up, two knobs three wires +, -, trigger for two boost levels.
One barb hooks to the turbo and the other to the waste gate. I have changed out all of the vacuum lines, and confirmed good electrical connections.

Back