Turbo off of a disel pickup

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

most schwitzers come off of john deere diesel tractors so you konw they make the power its just the charge piping may be a little bit of a bitch on that one

holset turbos are common diesel turbos used on hondas.

a while ago i started to built a turbo kit around a holset turbo for my ls/v.

HX35 is a good turbo, do some research it way pay off in the long run.

you can find the holsets reasonalble off the cummins 5.9 12v engines i was lookin into those or you can get the ones off of the gm 6.5 i think those are garrett

Boost is irrelivent... CFM's is what it's all about...

Man, I hate when people say that!! In this case, yes you'd want to look at flow; but both matters. When you're picking your turbo and you're looking at compressor maps; you'd have to calculate how much boost you want to run and how much flow you need at the desired rpm.

diesel trucks have no bov

That depends; some trucks/busses do have bypass valves; which really is just a BOV routed back into the intake(before the turbo). Although, from what I've seen it's more common to see no bypass/BOV on modern trucks.

yes because diesel engines have no throtlebody the intake is just open so there for there is no way to controll a convential bov but you could do it with a electronic bov i guess how do they work on these buss motors your talking about

Just out of curiosity, but why wouldn't they?

Edit: Nvm the guy above me just answered my question.

I believe older diesel engines had throttle bodies. There are some engines that still use "throttle" plates though(I don't think it's used in the same manner as how it's used in our engines).

No throttle plate=better efficiency.

Well I was looking at it today and noticed that it had just a little play in the center shaft, So I decided to take it apart and see if I could do anything to tighten it up. Well in the process I seem to have snapped the tip of the shaft off on the outer air side. I think it is trash now. or does a rebuild kit supply the center shaft? does anyone know where to get rebuild kits for a Schwitzer S1 turbo or now known as borg-warner?

ommon semi's use what is called a rig saver. if they over ramp rpm it triggers a spring loaded plate that slams closed cutting off all air into the intake system thus shutting down the engine. We have them on the truvks I drive at work (I work for Halliburton, for those that don't know what Halliburton does we are in the oil and gas well servicing and cementing business, pretty much everything but drilling). I drive a cement bulk truck.

Don't you think it's a little far fetched to use a diesel turbo from a truck on a 1.6. I doubt you will be able to spool that turbo. You do also know that diesel engines usually have a compression ratio of around 20:1 and gas engines average around 9:1.
Maybe I'm wrong but definately something to consider.

Turbos are turbos. It doesnt matter if it came off a gas or diesel engine. The only difference is size. A turbo off a diesel engine is usually bigger being as diesels have soo much more compression. They can spool the bigger turbo in an acceptable manner for towing or turning massive PTO's. When you put that bigger turbo on a gas engine with half the compression, its gunna take a lot longer to spool, but it will move more air, creating more power.

Back