Turbo or ???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

randerson165

I have a 99 civic coupe, i'm wanting to swap out the old d16 for something better. I'm not quite sure on what would be the best to put in there. Maybe you guys could suggest something.

But my real question is: If i'm everyday driving and I drive my cars pretty hard, do I want to go turbo, supercharged, or n/a ???

I'm just looking for the right path to start building an engine to swap in there. Its going to take me some time so I just want to have everything planned out. The turbo idea sounds cool, especially since everybody talks about the power and the sound, but I'm real hard on my car, alot of stop and go in town and I don't know if that is good or bad with a turbo setup, or any setup for that matter. I've never even been in a turbo car before !!!!

volvos, saabs, new mazdas, neons, hell, old school chryslers were all turbo. and they get driven in stop and go every day. Anything, all motor, turbo, etc will only be as reliable as you take care of it.
boosted, you really just need to be on top of your oil changes, and pay more attention to your gauges and water temp if you are in stop and go when its hot as fuck out. and a turbo timer will let your car cool down a little while you aren't even in it.

tuning plays a big key to everything.

more so, budget does. if you're going to half ass it- expect a half assed reliable car. especially if its your only car...

turbo will always get my vote.

so what about the engine, which engine would you go with for my car ?

Also, what can I expect to pay for a complete turbo setup with hondata ? I'm assuming hondata is the way to go !!!

again, that comes down to budget....

you looking at 3-5 for a b-series swap
and 3-5 for a complete turbo setup, fuel, exhaust, etc etc

Good thing I found you guys talking about this. I've got a car like randers, and I've wondered what to do. thanx a lot

it all depends on what you want to use the car for , you can keep the D16 and get a greddy or apexi turbo kit , or get a JRSC and put up some decent numbers,

you can always swap to a ls/vtec and be around 170whp all motor then u can do some kind of forced induction on top of that.

it all depends on how skilled you are and how much work you want to put into it. if your not embaraced to drive around a turbo dseries then id say go for that, turbo is always a good way to go and with the greddy kit with FMIC the car will be realiable but make sure u keep up with oil like B said and check your guages

If i decide to turbo my d series, if i ever wanted to go to a b series, could I use the same turbo or at least the majority of the turbo parts ?

the manifold won't swap over, most your piping will need to be modified, and possibly an ecu change depending on what you started with in the first place...

but again, you really need to set for your self a budget, and a goal.
from there, we can guide you better.
if you have 2k and want 400 hp, you're on crack :)
if you have 6k, and want 300 hp, we can help.
if you have 3k and want 200 hp, we can help too.

kid in florida recently put 616whp out of his 84mm b16.
i've seen 500 on ls motors.
i've seen 700+ on race gas on gsr motors/drag cars

basically, any b-series has potential to take you where ever you could ever want to go on the street. A d-series, could take you there too- but its going to be pushed to its limits, and thus, won't be as reliable.

but like i said... i'd really get a goal in mind... hell, find a freind at the sceen to take you for a ride. see what 200 cars can do, and see what 400 cars an do.
250 is stupid fast on the street. 300 is bye bye tires 400 is highway rolling races.... but theres a lot more to building a fast car than peak horsepower.

Ok, I'm not sure on the B16 or the LS, but money isn't too much, this is going to be a project of mine untill my bills are paid and then I'm taking out a loan for about 5K-6K.

When you talk about turbos, are you suggesting a kit or a DIY ???

What engine would you go with assuming you had 5K to work with ?

Oh yeah, I don't have too many friends and the ones I do have don't have hondas and they laugh at me everytime I tell them someday I'm going to smoke your domestics !!! So I have no opportunity to ride is a bad ass 200+ HP honda !!!

I suggest NEVER getting a loan to hook up your car. Finanically, its quite possibly the stupidest thing you could do.

if you don't have it, and can't save it, what ever makes you think that you will be able to pay it off?

its just a car man... don't go into debt over it.

no its cool, i have a 3K loan on it right now for personal reasons. I just want to spend some money to make my car fast. 5k, i will only get a 2 year loan and probably pay it off faster than that !!!

So what would you do with the 5K ? with my car that is...

id pay off the 3k loan, and pay off 2k left on the 5k loan.

seriosuly.

OK, I take it all back, my parents just won the lottery and gave me $8,000. I just paid off my 3K loan and now I'm dumping some money into my car, what would you guys do based on my prior posts in this thread ?

Originally posted by randerson165@Jan 25 2004, 08:17 PM
OK, I take it all back, my parents just won the lottery and gave me $8,000. I just paid off my 3K loan and now I'm dumping some money into my car, what would you guys do based on my prior posts in this thread ?

HAHA Good thinking

i would look into a ls/vtec/turbo build, you will put up some sick numbers with a good setup but u might run out of $ , or look into a JRSC for the LS/vtec build

Back