turbo question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mrnice1058

ok this is a quick question how much boost is the max boost that can be ran on a stock b16a motor that i am putting in my 97 civic the turbo i have is off a new yorker it is a t3 i was thinking 8psi but is that to much let me know thanks

its has been said that a stock honda lower end can safely handle 8 pounds...

but please make sure you have enough fuel for the motor or you will be buying a new one...

you mean with the injectors right? what kind of injectors should i run because i need injectors for the engine. how do i calculate what cc it should be do you know?

Um, dude, you know there's a Forced Induction forum foolio.

i think you should put this idea on the shelf and do research

lots and lots of research..

you need to consider the whole fuel system
A) fuel managment
B ) fuel pump
C) injectors
D) ignition and timing to prevent detonation (goes along with your fuel managment)
E) cooler spark plugs...

you also need to consider your compression ratio when applying boost...

many things to consider before you even think about turboing a B16 or you're gonna grenade the motor...

Yes you can, not everyone that boost B16As rebuilds them, and most of them are just fine. Just make sure you do the tuning well, and have the fuel to support what you want to accomplish, and don't go crazy with the boost.

ok i understand the whole fuel system but let me know what i would need i know the injectors and i know i need the turbo timer what else am i missing or where else can i look for information if you can remember i am a noob learning the game thanks guys

You don't NEED a turbo timer, simply driving normally without reaching boost and waiting a minute or 2 before shuting off the car will do. If you want to lower your compression ratio and don't have the money for pistons, a thicker head gasket will do the job. It's hard to tell what else you need without you listing what you already have.

well i have the turbo and the manifold and the oil feed that goes thourgh where the oil filter goes, i was reading the turbo 101 and i was wondering if all i need to do is send my ecu to hondadata to set it up for a turbo is that all i need to do? if so i will go that way!!o yeah where do i get that thicker head gasket??

hondata s200w/boost option, I'm assuming your ECU is OBD2A. You'll need to convert to OBD1 to run hondata. You can also purchase a P28 ECU which plugs into your OBD2 harness without having to do the OBD2 to OBD1 conversion harness. You need an oil return line from the turbo to the oil pan (you need to tap the oil pan or purchase one already tapped). you can get a thicker head gasket from cometic gaskets. an external wastegate, (unless you're going to use a turbo with an internal wastegate), a blow off valve is not required but is recommended, an intercooler and I/C piping, downpipe, missing link missing link or check valves and plenty of vaccum line.

I'm sorry I just noticed you said you have the turbo already, what size turbo is it?

it is a t3 turbo from a newyorker it seems to work good it is firm and spins well i figure it would be good for me to use and learn how to put one together instead of spending thousands on a turbo and screwing it up. also what does the missing link do i think i see where it goes, does it go on the turbo itself? and do i put the map sensor on it i am alittle lost on that part, and as far as the hondata i don't think i am going to do it because there is to much i need to buy so i can just use the FMU turbo timer and work from there i hope any suggestions on which one i should lean towards apex one

Oh ya a t3 that's right, couldn't remember. You'll learn a lot more piecing together the kit yourself than if you were to just go buy a complete kit. Also theres no use in paying for extra parts you'll end up upgrading or not even using. The missing link goes under the map sensor and prevents the map sensor from reading any boost. Eventually if you upgrade to hondata you won't need the missing link anymore. Are you talking about the apex'i auto timer? That's the same one I'm using. It also reads volts, a/f ratio and O2. It's about $100. Like I said before you don't need a turbo timer but I guess if you're in a hurry and don't have time to sit and wait then they're a good thing to have. You can probably find a used Vortech 12:1 FMU for pretty cheap.
What manifold are you using? What's a New Yorker, I've never heard of one of those?

it is a chryster new yorker it is a late 80's early 90's motor it is an older car it has like 50,000 miles on it so it is not bad it is not in bad shape so i lucked out as for that vortech fmu is that just like a fuel pump i looked at it and it is like a fuel pressure regulator right? is that all i need to get beside the injectors and turbo timer? thanks

You may want to look into getting a walbro 255lph Hi pressure fuel pump. The FMU is kinda like a fuel pressure regulator, if it's a 12:1 ratio FMU it will raise the fuel pressure 12psi for every 1 lb. of boost it sees thru the vaccum line. Example say you're running stock fuel pressure around 35psi and boosting 6 pounds, your fuel pressure will be around 72psi. They also have 10:1 ratio FMU's and ones with smaller ratios, type in vortech FMU in a search engine and they should come up. In my opinion I would get an FMU, injectors, fuel pump and have someone tune it.

I mean take it to get dyno tuned at a local shop some don't have dyno's and others do, where are you located? By tuned I mean having your fuel curve/timing adjusted to match the amount of air you're forcing into the engine with the turbo setup.

i am in the Poconos in Pa there is nothing here like that i understand the curve but do i still need to do all the pistons and head gaskets?

Back