Turbo selection for a B16A1 CRX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HondaRacer238

I have a 91 CRX with a JDM B16A1 engine in it (160hp). I was wondering what would be a good turbo for this car, i want to get a full kit with everything. I was thinking the new edelbrock kit with the disco potato turbo, or the T3/T4 turbonetics kit. I am wanting to get a kit that will take some time off the quarter mile at the strip and help me out on the street race scene. I will also be looking into pistons, wiesco pistons. I need help on getting the right compression i would want to give me a quick quarter. Also i was wondering what i could do to make my engine a lil more reliable with the turbo, so i dont blow it or nething. so my questions are, what turbo kit should i get for my JDM B16a1 for a quick quarter, what compression piston should i get with that turbo, and what could i do to make it more reliable so i dont blow the engine or anything. Thanks for all the help guys! :D :worthy:

Check out the Rev Hard Turbo kit it is supposed to be pretty sweet.
To protect the engine you may want to do your valve train. Definitely get a computer a Hondata if possible and do your fuel system (fuel rail, new injectors, and a hi flow fuel pump). Compression wise I don't think you want it too highconsidering you are going turbo maybe 9:1 but that is just a guess.
By the way tuning is your friend best friend.

where can i check out this rev hard turbo kit and computer and fuel stuff...u guys got any places that u reccomend for good prices and service?

do i wanna go with the stage 1 kit or the stage 2?...it says do things right the first time...and i plan on building my engine up...so i was thinkin stage 2...that wont blow my engine will it?

again, it all comes down to fuel management and tuning.

NO turbo kit blows up a motor-
your right foot does.

B16A1 OBD0 = shit platform.
Before turbocharging the car, I'd convert to OBD1. On OBD1, you have the choice of Uberdata, Crome or Hondata S200. All of which will require a lot more work than bolting on a FMU and missing link and other such garbage but you'll actually be able to tune the car properly so it runs to 100% of its full potential.

*Freemantle hides from the masses of Turbo Edit users who are about to get huffy about their platform of choice

Originally posted by radnulb@Aug 23 2004, 02:04 PM
Before turbocharging the car, I'd convert to OBD1.  On OBD1, you have the choice of Uberdata, Crome or Hondata S200.  All of which will require a lot more work than bolting on a FMU and missing link and other such garbage but you'll actually be able to tune the car properly so it runs to 100% of its full potential.
[post=380580]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, ok. OBD0 is shit, eh? Wanna run my '91 hatch?? :p

I love my Z-Dyne SECU. My SC34 is getting ditched for an SC61 in the near future... probably at the same time I add my b17 stroker motor to the mix next year sometime.

Originally posted by SiR Kid+Aug 24 2004, 04:24 AM-->
@Aug 23 2004, 02:04 PM
Before turbocharging the car, I'd convert to OBD1.  On OBD1, you have the choice of Uberdata, Crome or Hondata S200.  All of which will require a lot more work than bolting on a FMU and missing link and other such garbage but you'll actually be able to tune the car properly so it runs to 100% of its full potential.
[post=380580]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, ok. OBD0 is shit, eh? Wanna run my '91 hatch?? :p

I love my Z-Dyne SECU. My SC34 is getting ditched for an SC61 in the near future... probably at the same time I add my b17 stroker motor to the mix next year sometime.
[post=380908]Quoted post[/post]​

89-91 PW0 and PR3 ECUs are a different platform than either the 88-91 MPFI OBD0 or 92-95 OBD1. There is little support for this platform from either commerical or free editors. The old hondata for this platform is quite buggy - a lot of the things fixed in the S200 were never ported back.

The zdyne is a dinosaur and has some serious issues with larger injectors and standard speed-density compensations. A buddy of mine has one with 900cc injectors on a built 2L LS turbo, and I get to hear about it quite often. Hopefully we'll get the OBD0 code totally nailed this year and will be able to say goodbye to it.

And as for TurboEdit - it's great for NON vtec at this point. Vtec motors need more resolution up top, which has not been adaquately addressed.

Oh, and I would run your 91 hatch except for the fact you probably live far away and I just totalled my LS/turbo gutted 91 CRX HF running on my code/turboedit.

Originally posted by radnulb@Aug 25 2004, 11:13 AM
The zdyne is a dinosaur and has some serious issues with larger injectors and standard speed-density compensations.  A buddy of mine has one with 900cc injectors on a built 2L LS turbo, and I get to hear about it quite often.  Hopefully we'll get the OBD0 code totally nailed this year and will be able to say goodbye to it.

I think I know who you're talking about. boostedhydrid? I know Steven. His car is a badass. Zdyne may be a dinosaur, but it works, and work pretty damn well for what it is. I'll stick with it until some company decides to offer more plug and play options for the OBD0 format. I've already gotten up to nearly 300 WHP, I don't see a problem pushing it to 400, and that's my goal. After that, all my time and money is going into a near 4 digit powerplant for the Mustang. Piss on Honda's.

had anyone had any experience with a haltech? especially the new e6x? I just installed one and I'm curious to know what you guys might think of it.

Played with it at EFI University, didnt like it so much. The 3d Graphs were kind of janky, and table placement wasnt too logical when you could have used Uberdata/Hondata/AEM.

Originally posted by [Freemantle]@Aug 31 2004, 09:46 AM
Played with it at EFI University, didnt like it so much. The 3d Graphs were kind of janky, and table placement wasnt too logical when you could have used Uberdata/Hondata/AEM.
[post=384203]Quoted post[/post]​

from what everyone is saying..you should probably go with the Sc61 turbo.

Originally posted by CRXSI91+Sep 17 2004, 03:12 AM-->
[Freemantle
,Aug 31 2004, 09:46 AM]Played with it at EFI University, didnt like it so much. The 3d Graphs were kind of janky, and table placement wasnt too logical when you could have used Uberdata/Hondata/AEM.
[post=384203]Quoted post[/post]​

from what everyone is saying..you should probably go with the Sc61 turbo.
[post=391454]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm assuming you are talking to him. Precision turbos are decidedly nice, but there are a lot of bandwagoners inflating what they are (and their pricetag). Garret is a good industry standard and always has been. I'm not saying ou should drop $1,200 for a GT series, but it is a giant leap up frop the stuff you'll find on E-Bay (try finding the right downpipe flange, It'll be the hardest part of the install).

[gush] Innovative Turbo's "street heat" series is beautiful, and their customer service was awesome. After owning one of their beautiful SH46s, I called them to explain that I realized that it would be too small to work for my application. I sent the turbo back and got the full credit back to my Visa (sans the $30 polishing fee and shipping). I used the money to buy a manifold, but a SH60-1 is definatly on my buy list, though I think I am going to have to grind some of my motor mount to fit it. [/gush]

Back