Turbo troubles

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

n20hatch

Ok so I've rebuilt my turbo 2 times and it still smokes. The return is at the proper angle/location, the feed is a 3an w/a restrictor. I can drive through the whole rpm range OUT of boost and it doesnt smoke, but as soon as it starts boosting it smokes. There is only LIGHT decel smoke after boosting so I dont think the turbine side is messed up. The turbo is a t3-to4e,garret chra,alliad signal and garret wheels, Innovative comp. housing, and an xspower backplate. It doesnt have any shaft play at all.I can swipe my finger inside the turbo inlet and feel a bit of oil residue/black shit. SOO im thinking its the xspower backplate, like mabey the groove for the seal ring has something wrong with it. Im positive I rebuilt it the way I should have, with the gap for the seal rings facing towards the oil inlet. what do you think the problem is?
O and I changed the pcv valve too

If YOU rebuilt it... that's probably your problem. Leave it to the pros. Send it to Cheapturbo.com

Could be.. but its just weird because I assembled everything the way the people at turbonetics told me to.Isnt the only other thing a pro does is the vsr balancing. The rebuild is pretty straight forward. But hey I guess sending it to cheapturbo is a good idea...thanks man

who says its not your motor smoking under boost..

ever think of that??

mahle pistons arent exactly what i would call "choice"

personally i think they suck, just a thought

Quoted post[/post]]
who says its not your motor smoking under boost..

ever think of that??

mahle pistons arent exactly what i would call "choice"

personally i think they suck, just a thought

I did a leakdown and it came out cyl1 7% 7% 3% 7%, the head gasket is fine , all fresh valve seals
A/Fs are in the 12ish range .
The plugs have an oily ash around the bases of them. and the smoke is blue

I've only heard good things about mahle... and I havnt had any problems with them

well if you have an af of 12 and your sparkplugs have a block ash around the bottom it probably means they are too cold. might wanna step up a heat range and see if that helps.

well if the turbo was smoking from the exhaust side seals, there would be no evidence of oil in the combustion chamber.

if the compressor side seals are junk, your charge piping would have to be absolutely loaded with oil if that much was being drawn into your engine.
i am still thinking motor here. i would take the turbo off and drive it all motor and see what the deal is, honestly, if the motor checks out, i would junk that turbo and run something worth owning.

Quoted post[/post]]
well if the turbo was smoking from the exhaust side seals, there would be no evidence of oil in the combustion chamber.

if the compressor side seals are junk, your charge piping would have to be absolutely loaded with oil if that much was being drawn into your engine.
i am still thinking motor here. i would take the turbo off and drive it all motor and see what the deal is, honestly, if the motor checks out, i would junk that turbo and run something worth owning.

Me and my tuner created a big boost leak and adjusted the af's, did a pull thorugh vtec to about 7k. And it was fine, no smoke whatsoever. I unbolted the exhaust housing and there was no oil like there is when that seal goes. took off the charge pipe coming off the turbo and there was a pretty good ammount of oil. Little pools here and there. So definitly the compressor side...mabey I'll try a dif backplate and if that doesnt work, then cheapturbo is the way it will go.

yeah, stp up and score a real turbo. i bought a 60 trim t3/t4 from them and the fucker ripped hard on my gsr.

Very small leaks (not noticeable just looking it over) can make a ton of smoke. I had my "piece of junk" stock turbo rebuilt professionally on my rx7 and its worked great ever since. It was about $260 through turbonetics. My $.02.

Whenever your ready, buddy!

Seriously, The rx7 pulls 13psi on a chipped ecu and a walbro and its been running great. Hybrid turbo meant new injectors then haltech then fmic, etc.. which all means no s2000 next spring in cash. I'll save all the screwing around for the civic. Even then it will be a conservative turbo setup, cause a car that runs is always faster than one that don't. And even the "experts" blow up their cars when they go all out. The candle that burns twice as brightly burns half as long.

Quoted post[/post]]
Whenever your ready, buddy!

Seriously, The rx7 pulls 13psi on a chipped ecu and a walbro and its been running great. Hybrid turbo meant new injectors then haltech then fmic, etc.. which all means no s2000 next spring in cash. I'll save all the screwing around for the civic. Even then it will be a conservative turbo setup, cause a car that runs is always faster than one that don't. And even the "experts" blow up their cars when they go all out. The candle that burns twice as brightly burns half as long.

word to that!

i wasnt implying anything, i was saying , iwould not spend 260 to rebuild a stock turbo, when for 450 you can have a fat t3/t4 or some sort.

Ok,I've decided that im just going to take the drop and go for the new turbo... it will probably be cheaper in the long run. I cant wait till this turbo project is done so I can get some numbers. It feels fucking great at full boost,just the smoke sucks.

for 900 it better be ball bearing, you are obviously getting ripped off.

i payed 530 shipped for a brend new t3/t4e 60 trim straight from garrett..

precisions go for around 680. you must be buying the jdm ripoffer turbo, at some chinese speed shop.

www.blaastperformance.com

t3/t4 turbos for 450 new.

i have run a few of these with great result.

Back