Turboing a 96 GS-R

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Eskie

I have a 96 GS-R teg and even though I love the high end power, I really don't like the major lack of lower end power. I was wondering if anyone has ever done a turbo set up with a small turbocharger that spools up fast to give it a good low end power increase. As of now my GS-R is completely stock and if I were to turbo it would need to be able to be daily driven, and pretty reliable for the most part. Budget wise I would like to spend 1,500 bucks, and I would piece together a kit from junkyard parts, not buy a pre-made kit. So if anyone has any suggestions on what I should do please post them.

Thanks, Eskie

it's been done many times, what kind of power #'s are you looking for? if you want it to be reliable though you'll need some type of fuel/engine management whether it be hondata or an FMU. based on your budget of 1,500 I'm gonna say hondata is a bit out of your price range, however you can pick up an FMU pretty cheap and use it until you're able to afford hondata. you also may want to pick up a bigger fuel pump (walbro/holley 255lph) a FPR and some bigger injectors.

well im not exactly sure on what numbers i want yet but i do want to be able to run this setup on stock internals for awhile. Speaking of my budget i will probably start out small and upgrade things as i go on. I will probably upgrade to hondata later. But what kind of turbo would be a good choice that would spool up pretty quickly ?

most kits come with t3/t4 turbo's and you probably won't want to go with anything bigger than that. 6-7psi on a t3/t4 with stock internals should last a while. Mine has lasted 3 months on stock internals, untuned with only a FPR, fuel pressure guage and walbro fuel pump.

Thats what i did is pieced together a junkyard turbo for my old motor i did a t26 on a sohc si motor in a 90 gutted hatch

Go here for info on turbocharging your car on a budget... HomeMadeTurbo

Fuck the FMU, last time I checked GSR motors were expensive so you don't want to skimp on the fuel management or tuning because that is the most important part. I would convert to obd1 and run uberdata. What is uberdata? It's free hondata... Uberdata

Originally posted by Slammed90Lude@Apr 30 2004, 12:14 AM
jeff knows his stuff- and don't settle for a cheap knockoff, run hondata :)

Are you saying uberdata is a cheap knock off? You have no clue what your talking about. Get with the times man. Uberdata will give you the same results as Hondata. I'm not saying Hondata is bad at all, but why spend $1,000+ when you can get the same thing for free? :rolleyes:

Why? Because if it wasn't for Hondata, there would be no uberdata and you all would still be spending $1500+ on management.

And its $245 retail, not $1000.

It supports the industry. Supporting the industry is more important than anything, or your going to pay $1000+ for anything for your car.

Hondata has done alot for this industry. You should support them.

A full blown Hondata sytem with datalogging that allows you to tune your own car will cost OVER $1,000. That's WAY too much money to be spending if you ask me. Maybe if hondata dropped the prices to something reasonable I would start supporting them, but probably not since I have uberdata for free. Hondata is trying to make money off us, Blake the creator of uberdata is not. He should be getting the support for all the hard work he has put in and the fact that he let's us use his software at no charge.

I also feel the same way about pre-fab turbo kit company's. Why spend $2,000 to $3,000 or maybe even more for a turbo kit when you can build a better custom kit for much less?

and once again, there would be no uber data with out hondata.

95% of the code was conceived because of what hondata came up with.

what you are paying for is there years of R&D when they probably didn't eat much.

I'm so sick of these hondata vs uber data debates.

there's no fucking comparison.

uberdata is NOT hondata, and is NOT the same as hondata, nor will it ever be. if it is- then i would suggest hondata sue. they are different systems, based on similar code. software is one thing. i agree- what blake did was cool. but at the same time, the unit itself is far from the same thing.

Sorry, I'm not trying to piss anybody off here, but Uberdata uses the Honda ecu coding for the maps, and allows for boost the same as Hondata. Uberdata's performance compared to Hondata is the same and they both operate and perform in the same manner. They are a lot of things that are different because it's a completely different program, but I don't understand how you can say they are far from the same thing. That's just not true. No comparison? I would bet money if I had my tuner tune my car with hondata I would have had the same end result as I did with uberdata. I am just trying to save all you guys some money and since most of us are on a budget and "good" fuel management is really expensive, uberdata is a very good option.

would you say aem and hondata are the same thing?
they both ahve extended fuel maps, and all that you mention above- but i'm telling you, they are far from even being close to the same unit.

EVERY program is going to have extended maps for boost/fuel and all that- that's what a standalone IS.

end results? maybe- a good tuner says more than any software or hardware ever could.

but saying uberdata IS hondata without the price, is simpluy untrue.

-pissedoffsol at airj0ckey's house

:yes:

hey, here's another point, not necessarily concerned with the functions of thw two units- You can either buy a CD in the store for $13 or download the songs for free- but when you download a song instead of buying the entire CD hypothetically the recording industry as a whole loses a few cents- but overall there isn't a huge effect because they are still able to make tons of money on the CD"s they do sell

now take hondata- the volume of hondata sales is exponentially less then the music industry- so every person who takes the cheap route and runs uberdata takes the money out of hondata hands- Money that more than likely goes to furthering hondata capabilities and making it a better system-

if there is no future generation of hondata because everyone decides they want to get the free uberdata, eventually there will be no more hondata for the uberdata writers to steal code and write their free software-

get the picture?

Back