tv shopping

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
well, my 1972 19" goldstar tv is shitting the bed. after about an hour, the sound kinda cuts in and out :(

time for a new tv.

budget: cheap. im not looking to buy a 60" widescreen plasma... although i'd love to, $10,000 for a fucking tv is rediculous.

i've narrowed it down to the following:

Samsung CRT, 26" 16:9, $799 30 watts
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-8eN7q...a=0&cc=01&avf=N

Sony Wega, CRT 27" 4:3 $629 30 watts w/sub
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-8eN7q...a=0&cc=01&avf=N

everything else is just out of my price range. i really didn't want to spend more than 500... but, well, there isn't shit in the 4-500 range anymore.

or, spend half the money on a normal tv... such as
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id...goryId=cat03003

I don't have a stereo system, so sound quality is important to me.
I don't have cable, and thus rarely use it for anythign but DVD's.

for that reason, the widescreen tv appeals to me. plus it looks cooler. :) but, it has lesser sound, and we all know the wega's kick ass. The wega although not wide screen, has a 16:9 "mode" which doesn't loose resolution.... so that may be ok for dvds too... and although its slightly larger, in widescreen mode, its probably the same damn size.
again, its almost 200 bucks in price difference between these two models as well. and then, theres the cheapie, with 2watts of power, and probably won't be as clear... but, its just a tv for my room. will my shitty eyes even know the difference?

what would you do?

if it was me ill get a SONY.... :D

... If not ill get a JVC, and then with the rest of the money buy a small sound system. it's always nice to have a plasma, but i can just use the rest of the money to fix the car... :D

just get a regular 27' tv with inputs. why the need for anything more? you can always add surround sound later.

The TV in the garage could be your's for $100...and I barely ever use it...maybe a total of 80 hrs actual use...but then we would have no way to play the games in the garage during the meet's :(

Sony....cant go wrong with them. they make some of the best shit in the world

I have the Sony Wega 27", it rocks :D

I only paid like $450 for it, i got the warranty plan bullshit from Best Buy and it ended up being like $530 or something. I got it from Best Buy, but it was during the holiday rush soooo i guess the prices are inflated now or something. Great tv tho, highly recommend it :thumbsup:

Originally posted by TurboMirage@Jan 23 2004, 10:24 AM
you have a pc and a big ass monitor.

ATI TV WONDER!!! but i prefer the kworld tuner.

:werd:

ATI rocks, My brother had it and was surfing his computer on his TV and watching TV on his monitor, etc.

I've had my 19" Sanyo for roughly 6...7 or so years and never had a problem with it. Personally I will only go for another Sanyo or a Sony 27" when I upgrade to a higher resolution TV.

I'd go with the Sony Wega.

My dad has one, since they changed to silver, the 36inch crt, and man its beautiful, and its as pretty as the day we got it 4 years ago.

i want to get a 5.1 speaker set up at some point, but i can't afford both right now (well, i can, but i don't really feel like dumping 2k on tv shit right now... i just want a tv)

This post belongs in our Computers, Games, Electronics etc Forum. Please look for your post there.

:moved:

Thanks,

The Moderating Team

Back