Upgrading processor?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

My sister's Athlon 64 3200+ runs circles around my Athlon xp barton 2500+ when it comes to multiple tasks/programs.
That's because AMD's 32 bit processors really are junk. There is a reason that all of their top processors are 64 bit and only their cheapos are 32 bit. Their 64 bit processors have the best memory management availabe for x86 (way faster than anything that Intel made for memory access).

meh, the barton works just fine for my needs. I built my sis's pc, and really want to upgrade to an AMD x2 processor and mobo, but I don't need it right now. the 32 bit processors are fine if you don't need a lot of apps open at the same time.

They lack any sort of thermal protection (at least they did last time I used them). And they ran hot as hell. I had a 1.0 GHz chip in a Mini-Tower with a 120mm intake and 120mm exhaust fan with a decent heatsink and it burned itself up. I won't ever run AMD 32 bit processors again. No their 64 bit line is pretty good if you don't mind paying an arm and a leg for it.

WOW... so much mis-information. True, AMD came a long way from their old XP lines. But the old Sempron 32-bit with the "new" 130nm and 90nm were champs. They overclocked very well and even some managed to match the 64 Athlons. They also managed to be cool as well. However, now the entire AMD line is 64 bit. 64-bit doesnt really do shit for us anyway except servers who can benefit from the memory limit bump. In short, doesnt matter if its AMD's 32-bit or 64-bit line, its the core theyre based on. Anything 130nm or smaller are the newer core with on-die memory controller and that used to rock anything Intel had.

Intel had its fair share of thermal bombs. Dont forget the Prescotts. They still sale those now with a large discount. Also the 8xx Ds are basically two of those bombs stuck together to make a thermal reactor. The 9xx had a die shrunk and manage to be a bit better, but the X2s would whomp on them.

Anyway, fast forward today, processors are more affordable then ever. The AMD Athlon 64 3000+ can be had for as low as $60 and the 3500+ for $90. Those usd to be 150 - 320 repectively. The Pentium 930 Ds were 400, but now can be had for $180. The AMD X2 3800+ was $340 and now you can buy it for $150. In summation, there has been a huge price war among cpu makers so you can buy a very good processor for cheap.

As of right now, if you had to go get the best deal, Intel Duo is the way to go. The cheapest is $180 at 1.8ghz and is roughly $30 more than 3800+ X2, but performs par with the 4200+ for the same price. The major difference is when you start bumping the speed. The Intel has WAY more head room and less picky about RAM. At stock speeds it run fine with 533mhz RAM, but not the AMD. It wants at least 667mhz or even 800mhz. THe only major downfall of the Intel are the boards. They are expensive, less feature rich as the AMDs for the money, and are a bit buggy at the moment. You can't get an $80 Intel board that beats an $80 AMD board with overclocking potentional and feature. Also, the AMDs will accept the new processors but not support the DDR3 soon to be standard.

Cliff notes:
-AMD 130nm or smaller are good cores, regardless if its 32 or 64-bit. But all are 64 now.
-Processors cheap for both Intel and AMD.
-Intel Core Duo is champ right now

And how was there so much mis-information?

Maybe, I miss read your post, but it seems to me that you said that all the 32-bit run hot and suck. I was saying that it doesnt matter if its 32-bit or 64-bit, as long as its the new K8s. I gave the 32-bit Sempron based on the K8s as example. Even though they were 32-bit, they still ran pretty cool and overclocked very well.

I said (at least when I had one)... The Semprons are okay, but they fill the same need as the Celerons so I would stay away from them is you are doing anything more than Word Processing and reading email.

I just saw in a newspaper today that Fry's is offering the AMD64 3500+ and an ECS motherboard for $89.99. The board is based on the ATi Xpress 200 and the processor is 512kb cache @ 2.2ghz, which isnt a very bad deal. The processor was $300 just last year.

If you feel like spending a bit more, they have a AMD X2 4600+ @ 2.4ghz with an ECS board for 179.99. The only bad part is that it takes only DDR2 RAM, which you probably don't want to spend money on since you just got more DDR RAM.

Back