USB 2.0 support

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
Ok, so I put Windows back on, but the legit copy I have is one of the first to come out before the service packs. I tried to install my USB 2.0 external HD, and got a message saying it could perform faster in a 2.0 port. Now, I have 2.0 ports, all the ones on my mobo support it. So I try to use the 2.0 driver for my mobo and it tells me that with service pack 2 (I updated, duh) it is not nescessary to install these drivers. Well, apparently something didn't click when I updated and they are not being supported to the fullest.

Anyone have any idea what I can do here? I have tried finding the drivers in the system32 and they are there, but when I try to update manually it won't choose them.

yeah, remove them from device manager.
re-boot
let windows re-install the hardware on boot up which should load the newer driver

build 2600 doesnt support usb2. you need atleast SP1 to install any usb2 driver.

try uninstalling them again, then delete your mobo usb2 drivers from add/remove (mine were in there), or the actual driver files, then use the generic windows ones.

dont forget to check windowsupdate for hardware update, or you mobo manufacturer website.

Looks like it had something to do with going straight to SP2 I guess....

How to upgrade to the USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller driver in Windows XP Service Pack 1
If your computer supports USB 2.0, and you have a pre-installed USB 2.0 driver from the OEM, you can continue to use the earlier pre-installed drivers for USB 2.0. You can do this even after you install Windows XP Service Pack 1.

To upgrade to the USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller driver in Windows XP Service Pack 1, follow these steps:1. Make sure that Windows XP Service Pack 1 is installed. Make sure that you have restarted your computer if you receive a message to do this.

For more information about Windows XP Service Pack 1, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...p1/default.mspx (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp1/default.mspx)
2. Open Device Manager. Locate Devices by Type.

To open Device Manager, either run Devmgmt.msc at a command prompt, or follow these steps:a. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
b. Expand System Tools, click Device Manager, and then click Devices by type on the View menu.

3. Right-click USB 2.0 EHCI Host controller, and then click Update Driver.

You can find the USB Host controller entry in either of the following locations:• Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
• Other Devices

Note In the Other Devices location, the USB Host controller entry is labeled Universal Serial Bus controller with a yellow exclamation mark.

4. Click Install the software automatically (Recommended), and then click Next.
5. Click Finish when installation is finished.

Note You may receive a message to restart your computer to finish the installation.

Back