V-tec Not Working?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i have a 93 del sol si, and i think that my v-tec is not kicking in. i used to feel it kick in, and hear it kick in, now...neither. i had another engine put in, but it was the same thing (d16z6) but i don't think it's worked since i had that done. i also think my timing is off, but that's another problem altogether. anyway, does anyone have any suggestions on what might fix this problem? my car isn't fast anyway, but it could at least be faster than it is. i've heard several things could cause it, but never really been told what those are. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

im not sure if the timing being off would cause that .... very possible ...
also oil pressure too high or too low will cause it (synthetic oil can cause it to be too low in some cases)
if the ECU doesnt get a signal that the car is up to proper temp it will cause it
those are the ones i can think of off the top of my head

thanks man, i've wondered if the timing being off might do it. and i'm not sure the timing is off. i'm not very smart about mechanics of cars, i've never really been around them enough, but i'm trying to learn now. but i think the timing might be off and i'm going to check it at least, and if that fixes it, awesome. again, thanks for the tips. much appreciated. God bless.

First of are you getting any codes? Is your check engine light on?
If not, check your ECU make sure it's still a p28, I've heard of people swapping ECU's on customer's cars when they work on them.
If not it may just be that the timing is set different than before.

Originally posted by solblu@Mar 28 2003, 12:06 AM
First of are you getting any codes? Is your check engine light on?
If not, check your ECU make sure it's still a p28, I've heard of people swapping ECU's on customer's cars when they work on them.
If not it may just be that the timing is set different than before.

by codes i'm assuming you mean diagnostic. i haven't had it checked yet. i need to. no engine light, those that really doesn't mean crap, cause those things come on for everything. if i rev 3rd gear high it comes on. i think much of that is because of the exaust reading different because there is little to no back pressure since i ran a straight pipe from the manifold to the muffler. the guy that put my engine in wouldn't have taken the ecu, he did my car as a side job to make some extra money, so he doesn't just have stuff laying around, especially for honda's. but again, i do need to have it put on a diagnostic, and check the timing. thanks for the input solblu.

if your VTEC isn't working, your check engine light will come on. But if the screen between the vtec solenoid and the cylinder head is clogged, then it won't work and your computer will never know, thereby not setting any codes. Driveability problems without a check engine light to go by are very difficult to diagnose. I suggest taking your car to the nearest Honda dealer and have them put your car on thier scan tool to look at the engine data screen to see if the VTEC is engaging or not. Another problem can be if the check ball in the VTEC solenoid is worn or missing/broken then you won't build up enough pressure to lock the synchronizer pins into place. Honda make a special tool that you hook up to a regualted air supply to test the VTEC solenoid to see if it holds the proper amaount of pressure

my only problem with going to a honda dealer is they will probably charge me a lot of money. i might just have to have it looked at though. i could be retarded and it might be working, but i can't tell it like i could, and neither can my friends. i don't know. i'm almost ready to get rid of it, but then i think "this is my baby, i can't sell her" cause i love my car. it isn't anything great, it needs some work, but it's a fun car and i'm happy with it. i might actually do an ls swap with the b16 head, but that will be a while. thanks for the advice on the v-tec ryan. God bless.

I was just wondering, Do you have an aftermarket intake or a stock airbox? With stock airboxes it is almost impossible to hear the VTEC kick in because of the resonators Honda puts in the intake tract. Let me know

Yeah my friends is the same way, we havnt really figured out why its not kicking on.. we havnt gone all legnths yet to see tho.

Back