Vacation 2015

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

We honestly don't plan on or have any interest in leaving the resort much. Might venture out to town to grab a few things for lunches to put in the mini fridge for the week to keep costs down a bit but that's about it. I'm more of a drinking all day in the pool, floating around on a tube, with some laying out on the chair kind of vacation guy. I usually read a book.

I'll do the venturing out site seeing thing when we plan Ireland and Italy in the future.
Why go all the way to Cancun to float in a pool and drink?

We honestly don't plan on or have any interest in leaving the resort much. Might venture out to town to grab a few things for lunches to put in the mini fridge for the week to keep costs down a bit but that's about it. I'm more of a drinking all day in the pool, floating around on a tube, with some laying out on the chair kind of vacation guy. I usually read a book.

I'll do the venturing out site seeing thing when we plan Ireland and Italy in the future.

So you will have one of the 7 wonders of the world about an hour away and you're not going to see it. Got it.

If you are just going to sit at the pool, I guess you don't really need any suggestions or tips.

I've been to Puerto Plata, it was dirt cheap then too. kinda meh though. i mean it's a beach location and they brought you free drinks, but not much of an "adventure" though. you'll likely get cornered into a timeshare pitch. I was, just tell them you're poor and dont make a lot of money and have a shit load of student loans or something lol.

Thailand will be fun. 24+ hr travel time sucks. and since you're a white dude, walking around in public, people will stare at you and think your gf is a hooker. but you have the right idea going with someone that speaks the language lol.

va·ca·tion (vā-kā′shən, və-) n. 1. A period of time devoted to pleasure, rest, or relaxation,

So you will have one of the 7 wonders of the world about an hour away and you're not going to see it. Got it.

If you are just going to sit at the pool, I guess you don't really need any suggestions or tips.

when did I ever ask for tips or suggestions? I'm Confused about this comment. I just asked what I should expect going to Cancun...meaning like is it a shit hole full of crime or is a nice richy area ....info like that...

when did I ever ask for tips or suggestions? I'm Confused about this comment. I just asked what I should expect going to Cancun...meaning like is it a shit hole full of crime or is a nice richy area ....info like that...

my bad, i misinterpreted your question.

Expectations: sunshine, water, tourists, shitty booze, and lots of mexicans.

Why go all the way to Cancun to float in a pool and drink?

That was my thought as well. Especially when there is so much to do there. It's a phenomenal location to experience great culture, history, and lifestyle. I chose Cancun because of all the other shit. Inca and Mayan history, mexican culture, there are literally 50 different ruins, temples, shines, etc there to see. There is also snorkeling, scuba diving, outdoor adventures and trips to go on.

I guess if I wanted booze and a pool, I would just go somewhere local and not really spend any money. I would save the miles for a more extravagant trip. Or at least went somewhere with less culture.

But to each his own. Some people want to visit foreign countries to stay on a resort. Some people like Dickskate want big exhausts and no hood. lol

Reactions: B16
I've been to Puerto Plata, it was dirt cheap then too. kinda meh though. i mean it's a beach location and they brought you free drinks, but not much of an "adventure" though. you'll likely get cornered into a timeshare pitch. I was, just tell them you're poor and dont make a lot of money and have a shit load of student loans or something lol.
yeah, she loves the beach. so most the trip will probably just be laying out there
the resort has a lot of events all the time, live music, dancing, etc etc so it should be pretty good time. We have some coupons for para-sailing, snorkeling, etc etc so we might do some stuff like that.
It's not a timeshare thing... it was a groupon package actually.
Thailand will be fun. 24+ hr travel time sucks. and since you're a white dude, walking around in public, people will stare at you and think your gf is a hooker. but you have the right idea going with someone that speaks the language lol
yeah, i'm not looking forward to that flight at all. I'm going to try to not sleep the day before so i crash out HARD and sleep for most the flight. She hasn't been home in 6 years so it's important trip for her to see her family (they are all there).

I can say hi, where's the bathroom, directions like left/right, can cout to 100, and order food in thai, so that's probably all i really need to know. lol

yeah, she loves the beach. so most the trip will probably just be laying out there
the resort has a lot of events all the time, live music, dancing, etc etc so it should be pretty good time. We have some coupons for para-sailing, snorkeling, etc etc so we might do some stuff like that.
It's not a timeshare thing... it was a groupon package actually.

yeah, i'm not looking forward to that flight at all. I'm going to try to not sleep the day before so i crash out HARD and sleep for most the flight. She hasn't been home in 6 years so it's important trip for her to see her family (they are all there).

I can say hi, where's the bathroom, directions like left/right, can cout to 100, and order food in thai, so that's probably all i really need to know. lol

better learn how to ask for a beer. that's always an important one for me.

Google translate is fail for tonal languages lol.

Thai is incredibly difficult to learn/master. the tones are hard to get down. you know how you put an inflection on a word in english usually used to indicate a question? in Thai the same kind of thing is used to differentiate different words. something as simple as asking where the eggs are can be totally fucked up and/or nonsensical by using the wrong tone. I know how to say "Thank You", "Sorry", "Happy Birthday", and a few choice words, but that's about it lol.

and then there's the written language lol... from Wiki: [Thai written language] has 44 consonant letters, 15 vowel symbols, that combine into at least 28 vowel forms, and four tone diacritics.

BUT, the Google Translate App is surprisingly very good. you can speak directly into the phone and it will translate pretty well. don't bother trying to pronounce anything it spits out on the screen lol. My gf was surprised at how accurate it was, even with correct tones. The app cant translate pictures for thai though. It'll do a shit load of other languages via the camera though. If you're an android user, you can use Google Translate offline too (no internet needed).

I haven't used the app. will try it out.

I understand a lot more than i can speak. when her girls are over, i can usually get the jist of what they are talking about but not with much context. Usually we're eating though, and i know a lot of food words like salty, spicy, hot, cold, etc etc

writing... yeah, never going to happen. even my gf struggles with texting her friends with it. the keyboard is REAL weird. you like add shapes to form words. like to make an F would would type | then = and it makes a character out of it. very tough.

I don't like flying either, but it's not because I'm afraid of it. It's because I like to leave when I'm ready, & I like to stop when I want to. Basically I just want to be in control.

Back